eero Pro 6 has slow hardwired speeds with gigabit internet

I am getting slow download speeds on both wired and wifi connections with my new eero 6 Pro setup. On wired ethernet I can get about 400mbps, on wifi about 200mbps. I have gigabit internet with Xfinity BTW. The Internet connection from my router on the eero app shows it delivering 960mbps down. Upload is fine at about 30mbps. Honestly I was expecting a bit more from this product. I see this is a problem in several other discussions but not seeing any suggested fixes, and all kinds of conflicting opinions about what I should expect. If this was normal then why are some users reporting no issues with wired connection while others are having issues?

62 replies

• peterooi
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

Hello All, need some help. I had the original Eero Pro and had no issues. Since software support ended I upgraded to the 6 Pro, returned it and then went 6+ AX3000. Both are exhibiting the same problems. I have 300 service and Eero is performing an in app speed test consistently around 160-180 down with 300+ up. 

1) On Wired Connections Speed test from multiple computers running at 170-180 consistently

2) On Wireless Connections Speed test consistently running at 250+

3) When plugging in the Fios CAT6 cable to the computer directly I get 250+ consistently

4) When I plug the Fios connection into the Eero and then Eero into my computer straight I get 170-180. 

It is definitely the Eero wired connection that is exhibiting a problem. No issues with wireless. Any idea what is going on? As far as I can tell I am on the latest software 6.14.0-4275 Before someone tells me it is my CAT 6 cable, the same cable connecting to my computer is giving me 250+. Furthermore did not have this problem with my old Eero setup, same cables etc.

I am at my wits end here. I don't want to go to another brand after using eero for the last 6 years, but I have no choice if I cannot resolve.

• Jumps101
      • 11 mths ago
      • Reported - view

peterooi Try unplugging the Eero and switch the incoming cable from FIOS to the other port. I have 3 Eero 6 plus units with 300mbs FIOS and was getting 300+down but only 20 up. On a whim, I switched the ports and restarted the Eero. That gave me 300 up and down. Connected up the rest of the Eero with only Cat 5E wired backhaul and I’m getting 300 up/down wired and wireless from all of the units.

• peterooi
      • 11 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Jumps101 Yeah did that before posting. Rebooted, tried both connections and still the same. I even went up in Fios speed and while eeros speed increased but only marginally, not close to the fios speed. But if i plugged a laptop to fios directly got the full line speed.

• jonsmirl
      • 11 mths ago
      • Reported - view

peterooi They have to know it doesn't work. The packet drops are obvious in Wireshark. Any network engineer would immediately look at the output and say it's broken. The CPU they are using is not fast enough to implement a firewall at 1Gbs with Ethernet in and Ethernet out. They are assuming you use Ethernet in and only radio out.

• peterooi
      • 11 mths ago
      • Reported - view

jonsmirl agreed. I am using deco now and the am getting my line speeds, but the interface is not eeros, and is not much to much liking. but since I am not staring at it non stop but I am needing the speeds I guess it is ok :-)

• jonsmirl
    • 11 mths ago
    • Reported - view

I am also experiencing the same behavior. I used Wireshark to look at everything and my Eero 6+ in router mode simply can not handle the 1Gbs traffic from the ONT and it drops packets all of the time. I even sent the wireshark logs to support detailing the problem.  AFAIK there is no solution to fixing this.

I ended up putting the FIOS router back in which handles the 1Gbs without problem and then use my Eero's just as APs. Very disappointing. I wanted the management features and I can't get them to work. I went back and forth with support for weeks doing pointless tests.

Here is very simple test. Plug in Eero to ONT. Get 200Mbs or so. Plug in Verizon router, get 1GBs.  Nothing else changed in the system.  Run wireshark, send support picture of Eero dropping packets. Waste a month, nothing fixed. Give up on Eero, put Verizon modem back.

• peterooi
      • 11 mths ago
      • Reported - view

jonsmirl I’m glad I’m not the only one. I sold mine on eBay and switched to Deco. I did not want to use VZ router and then another AP. I never had this issue with the original eero. I tried all the eero 6 models and same result. Got no where with support. 

• Cmp
      • 9 mths ago
      • Reported - view

peterooi 

I have spectrum gigabit I can't go over 940mbps but I was told I was getting 1000mbps from spectrum.

• Richard_Humulock
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view

Also having same issue as everyone. Lame.

• Russell_Zotz
    • 8 mths ago
    • Reported - view

Seems we are having the same problem as everyone else.  We just got 1gb Google Fiber service, and with laptop directly to it, we get 1100 down and up.  With eero speed test, it shows 980 up and down.  With that same laptop to the eero hard wired, 300-500 down only and 800 up.  Can't figure it out and waiting for their support to get help which I am not expecting much from.

• peterooi
      • 8 mths ago
      • Reported - view

in my case my eero app was also wrong. You are right to set low expectations. They go off a script, and you will spend a few emails then telling you that speed varies based on your distance to eero. You will then spend a few emails explaining you are hardwired and they will then tell you are cable is bad… and it goes on. At the end of it, you lose patience and disengage.

• jonsmirl
      • 8 mths ago
      • Reported - view

@peterooi The eepro Pro 6 simply does not have the horsepower needed to implement a gigabit firewall without severe performance degradation. It is easy to see that it is not working, just watch it with Wireshark and you can see it drop thousands of packets.  I consider their claims that it works on Gbit Ethernet false advertising and I wish I had not purchased the system. But I have no way to return it now.  I am limping along keeping the Verizon router as the firewall and just using the erros as expensive range extenders.

Content aside

• 4 Likes
  • 8 mths agoLast active
  • 62Replies
  • 12791Views
  • 28 Following