MacBook can't get an IP from just one of my Beacons
I have a MacBook that is running Mojave 10.14.5 and it can't get an IP from one of my Beacons. It connects to the wifi but only with a self-assigned IP address. If I look at the devices connected to the Beacon, it seems other devices are working fine, including my iPhone, so it appears to problem is just with my Mac. My Mac works fine with the other 2 Beacons. Has anyone seen this type of problem before?
I too have the same problem, and spent an hour on the phone troubleshooting such esoteric things as "another ghost access point on your network" or "your Eero is blacklisted by your device (an apple MacBook) contact the manufacturer". No permanent fix, very frustrating to see this is not a unique problem and should have a solution to it.
Apple will need to solve it as it's the device blacklisting the node or nodes. I've experienced the same problem at work with a few staff iPhones that blacklisted certain APs in our nine floor hospital. Erasing the phone didn't help us.
We ended up replacing those phones with new ones which were fine then I tested the old ones again several months later and they had cleared themselves of the blacklisting. It's not much of a problem for us with three or four iPhones out of a fleet of twenty-two hundred but it's got to be exasperating when it's your one MacBook, etc affected!