Switching from wireless to wired?

Hi there

New user to Eero, and all is great so far; 2 questions..

-set 2 of my 3 pro units up wiressly, but want to switch one to wired now..do I just disconnect the power, wire it up, and then plug it in, or do I have to delete it from my setup first, then re-add it?

-why is the speed test so much faster from within the app, versus when you actually run the speed test app on your phone or tablet?

thanks!

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Just plug the network cable into your eero. No need to even unplug the power (although rebooting it isn’t necessarily a bad idea).

In terms of the speed tests being different, the eero app speed test will *usually* be the most accurate because it’s testing using your gateway eero (i.e. the one directly connected to your modem). Since it’s hardwired and the closest to the “internet” it will be a more accurate representation. Your phone/tablet on the other hand introduces a LOT of variables that can impact speed test results. Things like what kind of device you’re using (like what kind of wireless capabilities it has), how strong of a WiFi connection it has, what speed test service you’re using, what remote server that test service is connecting to, etc, etc.

Basically, I never trust a wireless speed test result except just to get a basic understanding of an internet connection. If I want to actually test the internet speed, I’m going to test while hardwired in whether that’s a laptop, or like at home, just trusting my eero test.

Is that all clear as mud? :)

Reply Like 1
  • yes, thanks, that is as clear as the driven slush!

Reply Like
  • Agreed. Wired is always best when possible. Have 3 eeros wired here and getting 4th.  Wireless is great but wired is greater. :)

Reply Like
reply to topic
Like Follow
  • 3 mths agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 178Views
  • 3 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com

Latest from the eero blog

IPv6 is here!