Hairpin NAT/NAT loopback Trouble

I'm having trouble utilizing the hairpin NAT feature. I'm trying to access my NAS from inside my network with my external network address. I have all the port forwards setup properly. If I didn't, I can't even access the NAS from outside at all. Is there anything else that needs to be setup in order to do this? The blog post on this feature states that the port forwarding is the only setup needed.

I'm running eeroOS v3.9.2-18.

17 replies

• txgunlover
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Assuming all is set up correctly, try restarting the eero system.  There is a small, but rarely encountered bug with loopback that has been around for a while.  Restarting the system from the app usually resolves it for me, and luckily it rarely shows up.

• schmatt
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Just tried rebootong the routers. Still no luck.

• txgunlover
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

schmatt It's not the bug then.  My loopbacks work 99% of the time, only had the bug show up about 4 times in the past 11 months.  Some of the common things: (assuming dynamic IP) make sure your dynamic IP client is correctly reflecting your current IP.  What IP does DNS return for the host name you're using?

• schmatt
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

txgunlover It's sort of working. I can access my external VPN address and connect fine. However, when I try to access my external website, I get a connection refused. Both are using the same named address. I'm not sure why I'm getting different results here. This also shows that the IP referenced by the name is correct. I have my NAS regularly checking and updating to the correct IP, if it happens to change.

• txgunlover
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

schmatt I'm assuming both ports are forwarded (VPN & Web server)?

• schmatt
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

txgunlover Sorry, false alarm. In my messing around trying to determine to issue, I deleted the port forwarding for the webpage. It works now. It may have been the bug you were mentioning before. All is well now. Thanks for the help!

• linanw
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Reboot doesn't fix the issue everytime. Even sometime it fixes, the issue still comes out after a while. My case 1 or 2 weeks. 

• mikeyunk
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have this same issue as well.  Do you know if this will be addressed in a future firmware update?

• juampick
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This was working,  but on the last versions of the firmware they brake it!!!

• mikeyunk
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Is Eero going to fix this anytime soon?

• txgunlover
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

mikeyunk I've been in contact with support regarding this and the forwarding issue.  They've acknowledged both, but haven't mentioned a date they'll be resolved.

• mikeyunk
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

txgunlover Thanks for the update.

• churusaa
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

eeroOS 3.12.1 here experiencing hairpin NAT failures more often than usual. Today rebooted router to get loopback NAT working (which succeeded... for about 2 minutes). Prior to this I could go weeks and sometimes months between restarts.

• txgunlover
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

churusaa 3.13.0 fixes it.

• juampick
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi txgunlover I'm not seeing the 3.13.0 version, at least on iOS.

• txgunlover
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

juampick It hasn't gone General Release yet.

• mikeyunk
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So when will 3.13.0 be available and can we test the beta now?

Content aside

• 2 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 17Replies
  • 811Views
  • 6 Following