Hairpin NAT/NAT loopback Trouble

I'm having trouble utilizing the hairpin NAT feature. I'm trying to access my NAS from inside my network with my external network address. I have all the port forwards setup properly. If I didn't, I can't even access the NAS from outside at all. Is there anything else that needs to be setup in order to do this? The blog post on this feature states that the port forwarding is the only setup needed.

I'm running eeroOS v3.9.2-18.

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Assuming all is set up correctly, try restarting the eero system.  There is a small, but rarely encountered bug with loopback that has been around for a while.  Restarting the system from the app usually resolves it for me, and luckily it rarely shows up.

Reply Like
  • Just tried rebootong the routers. Still no luck.

Reply Like
      • txgunlover
      • txgunlover
      • 2 mths ago
      • Reported - view

schmatt It's not the bug then.  My loopbacks work 99% of the time, only had the bug show up about 4 times in the past 11 months.  Some of the common things: (assuming dynamic IP) make sure your dynamic IP client is correctly reflecting your current IP.  What IP does DNS return for the host name you're using?

Reply Like
      • schmatt
      • schmatt
      • 2 mths ago
      • Reported - view

txgunlover It's sort of working. I can access my external VPN address and connect fine. However, when I try to access my external website, I get a connection refused. Both are using the same named address. I'm not sure why I'm getting different results here. This also shows that the IP referenced by the name is correct. I have my NAS regularly checking and updating to the correct IP, if it happens to change.

Reply Like
      • txgunlover
      • txgunlover
      • 2 mths ago
      • Reported - view

schmatt I'm assuming both ports are forwarded (VPN & Web server)?

Reply Like
      • schmatt
      • schmatt
      • 2 mths ago
      • Reported - view

txgunlover Sorry, false alarm. In my messing around trying to determine to issue, I deleted the port forwarding for the webpage. It works now. It may have been the bug you were mentioning before. All is well now. Thanks for the help!

Reply Like
Like Follow
  • 2 mths agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 107Views
  • 2 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com