WPA3 Security and Canon MG8150 printer

Hi

I’ve recently installed eero pro throughout the house (3units). Works a treat so that’s one issue out of the way. Turned off the router WiFi so that works fine - originally left it on and it seemed to work ok but suspected a few conflicts. Now, trying to connect my canon mg8150 (old I know but a cracking printer/scanner/copier) and I’ve had to disable the WPA3 otherwise the printer won’t connect to an ‘access’ point. Disable the setting and all good. What security is compromised as a consequence??

regards

namb

1 reply

• Enthusiast
    • thatsthequy
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

If the printer is the only device causing you issues, then I would encourage you to reposition it so it can be wired into the network, dodging the need for wireless authentication. Doesn't have to be the gateway eero, if you have a wireless node with ethernet ports they can be used for the printer also.

Using WPA2 in 2021 is fine in my opinion. Despite being introduced in 2004, it has only just become ubiquitous around 2015. I expect two or three more years to pass before we can reliably use WPA3 Transition mode, and five or more until we can use WPA3 exclusively.

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 1Replies
  • 176Views
  • 1 Following