Eero install with Century Link C2100T modem

I've been on the phone with Eero 3 times now, and Century Link twice. The Century Link people don't know the difference between a modem, wireless router, and shinola. The Eero app fails at "registering Eero", and when the nice Eero support person did the  registering herself, it still didn't work; even with a direct RJ45 connection between Eero and the modem, they wouldn't communicate. Is there some known issue and a workaround or fix? Has anyone else run into this?

I've tried 3 different Eero devices, swapped out the ethernet cables, tried different ports on both the eero and the modem. Multiple reboots of each & both. Thanks!

4 replies

• cMoo92
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So the C2100T isn’t just a modem. It’s a modem and wireless router combo. What happens if you plug a computer directly into one of the ethernet ports on the C2100? If that works, then connecting the eero to that same port should work too.

And also, make sure the C2100 is running the latest firmware: https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/utilities/update-modem-firmware.html

• dangfitz
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 Yep; latest software, plug the eero into an ethernet port, and that's the result - 

• dangfitz
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Oh, and plugging a computer directly into the port (actually, via a docking station - none of the laptops we have have an RJ45 connector). I get no internet that way, once I turn off the "other" wireless roter. 

• cMoo92
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

dangfitz well in that case all the evidence, in my opinion, points to something wrong with the C2100T. I strongly doubt this has anything to do with your eeros since even a computer can’t get an IP address.

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 642Views
  • 2 Following