Channel Selection

I've been told by support that there's no way to force the EERO's (I have three) to use a specific channel.   

My network is performing poorly and sporadically.  Using a frequency analyzer app on my phone I'm showing EERO on the same channel(s) as 5 neighbors.

I thought the system hopped to open space automatically but this is clearly not happening.

55 replies

• wazza
    • 11 mths ago
    • Reported - view

I have noticed a similar issue, on my system there are several issues.

the 2.4ghz channel chosen is channel 10 and the channel width is 40Mhz, both these setting are not to industry standard.

Channels 1,6,11 should only really be used and channel width should be 20Mhz.

the above setting are causing an impact to my network and other surrounding networks, is this something eero can resolve on an individual basis? or is it best to return to Amazon?

images from Metageek inSIDer application 

• Enthusiast
      • thatsthequy
      • 11 mths ago
      • Reported - view

wazza I doubt they would sacrifice throughput by dropping them to 20Mhz.

• wazza
      • 11 mths ago
      • Reported - view

thatsthequy throughput is already compromised through retransmissions due to adjacent channel interference, 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz is normal due to the lack of none over lapping channels.

• Enthusiast
      • thatsthequy
      • 11 mths ago
      • Reported - view

wazza that would be true if your neighbours networks also stuck to those three channels, but unfortunately, that’s not typically the case for most homes. It’s also naïve to set channels only based on neighbouring Wi-Fi networks, especially since a lot more than Wi-Fi operates in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. eero scans the entire spread of the spectrum, and also utilizes notch filters to ignore noisy parts of the spectrum from its transmissions.

• Chikenkiwi2
      • 10 mths ago
      • Reported - view

wazza this. It causes 2.4 only devices to lose connection when eero picks overlapping channels. A lot of them will only stay connected to 1,6,11, etc. Currently eero is using channel 7 for my 2.4 and causing connection issues for devices.

• Dicky_C2PO
    • 6 mths ago
    • Reported - view

Hello,

I, too, am stuck with a bunch of Eero nodes that make decisions about as well a high schooler who's had their head in the Jack Daniel's punch bowl a bit too long at the after prom party. I am well beyond the return window. That's my bad. I figured I could make it work. I figured wrong - this forum validates that !. Not being able to assign separate SSIDs is bad enough, but not being able to change channels is downright inexcusable. Now the price, that's just salt in the wound. Apparently, the Eero devs went a bit overboard with the whole dumbing down thing. I have a ton of IOT devices & security cameras, to which I am now at the mercy of a poorly designed autonomous system. Point in case: Pre Eero, I had 10 ~ 12 various Echo smart speakers (Everywhere Group) which I had assigned to the 5 GHz band for better lossless audio bandwidth & less 2.4GHz congestion. Well, apparently Eero thought that was a bad idea, and assigned all of them to the 2.4GHz band. All of my Eeros are Ethernet hardwired, and they do provide a strong, stable signal, just not the signal I want. Right now, My system is rocking channel 1; my preferred channel, and everything is running smoothly. That could all change overnight, as it often switches to channel 5; the most congested channel in my neighborhood. I have no idea what the whole channel 1 or 11 thing is about. Mine has always only been on 1 or 5. When it switches to channel 5, my FHD cameras are only stable in 360p - horrible in SD & 1080p. A few of my smart speakers also start intermittently losing Wi-Fi connection.

Folks, It would appear our only hope is that someone, like the devs @ Android Central, comes up with a hack or workaround for these shortcomings. There is no way the Eero team is unaware of the many dissatisfied customers, & why, after all these years. They are sitting on their hands, and as best as I can tell, will continue to do so until someone takes the initiative to file a class action suit. Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that, but in this litigious world, given the costs of these systems, it's just a matter of time.

Content aside

• 11 Likes
  • 4 mths agoLast active
  • 55Replies
  • 17697Views
  • 31 Following