Wired eeros carrying traffic over wifi

I have 3 network switches A<->B<->C.   If B goes down, A cannot connect to C.  This is on purpose.

All switches have both clients and eeros hardwired. eeros are in bridge mode.

Recently switch B went down. I was surprised to learn that hard wired clients on switch A could still communicate to hard wired clients on switch C - because the traffic was being routed over the eeros wirelessly.

I would greatly prefer that this never happened, other than removing the hardwired eeros from 2 out of 3 switches, is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks.

3 replies

• cMoo92
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This is exactly how mesh networking and eeros are designed to function. You could check with support to verify, but I'm 99.9% sure there is no option to change the functionality to how you want it. 

While I'm not sure why you designed your network on purpose to isolate clients on switch C, I'm speculating that you are trying to block clients at a certain time of the day or something (like blocking kids from internet access at night). If that's the case, then you could try using profiles in the eero app and add devices to a profile and disabling network access that way. Although that might not work in bridge mode.

• grahamk
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks -

I am mostly concerned that with all switches up the possibility of eeros routing traffic over their comparably very slow link might have a negative effect on my network.

• cMoo92
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

grahamk  No need to worry about that. eeros are smart enough to know if they are connected wirelessly or wired, and they'll route traffic over the wired interface if available. So really, you're just seeing the awesomeness of eero, and how it increases the redundancy of your network :) 

Content aside

• 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 511Views
  • 2 Following