OpenDNS Integration

An easy way to increase endpoint security would be some type of integration with the OpenDNS platform. It could be as simple as offering, during setup, to have eero use the OpenDNS servers. This would offer quite a bit more protection out of the box and requires just a basic explanation to customers.

For more advanced customers, having eero integrate with the OpenDNS dashboard would be fantastic.

https://docs.opendns.com/developer/networkdevices-api/

Thanks!

8 replies

• r/eero Moderator
    • JTswift
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

What about Google DNS? L3? There are a LOT of DNS options. Some better than others, even based on geographic location. Some free. Some paid. The option to change is there in the app if someone chooses to use it. But remember what eero is. Easy, fast, good. Let's not over complicate this. If someone doesn't know what DNS is or does, a page in the eero app isn't going to fix that. How many people do you know that will Google medical problems but are afraid to touch their computer!? Too many variables involved, and it's unnecessary, in my opinion. As for dashboard integration with the API...is it free for eero to do that? How much effort is involved? It doesn't seem worth it to me for this product.

• Joel
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    @jtswift I think you're missing the point. Google and L3 don't specifically tailor they're public DNS with security in mind.

And you're underestimating the intelligence of the eero community. If people knew about the service they would likely use it.

Also, I'm not sure how setting a DNS option has "too many variables involved". As you said, this is already available in the Advanced settings of the eero app.
    • eero Community Manager
    • Jeff_C
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi  Joel —

Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the eero community!

Making it easier for users to choose and understand DNS is an interesting idea, and I'll be sure to share it with our team. 

However, we have made the option in the app to choose a custom DNS if you'd like, which can be done through the Network settings section of the eero app. Defaulting to a 3rd party DNS service can be a privacy concern, so we prefer that we leave it up to the user to make that decision themselves.

• dtrain
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, when I use a custom DNS from unblock.us, I'm not getting a connection. This used to work fine w my old router (Apple Time Capsule) and my new eero network works great otherwise. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

• eero Community Manager
    • Jeff_C
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi  dtrain

Thanks for jumping into this topic. If you haven't yet, I would recommend contacting our support team so that we can ensure everything is setup correctly.

Feel free to give us a call at 1-877-659-2347 or email us at support@eero.com.

• Richard1864
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I also use OpenDNS. I tried Google DNS, and had lots of cookies appear on my devices that were blocked automatically by OpenDNS; that's a privacy issue. Secondly, OpenDNS allows you to check if website is offline or not, has much better overall network security than Google DNS, much more detailed records of which device went where online and when, etc. 

Google DNS is good, and is aimed primarily at the home user who wants something that is basically turn on and go. 

OpenDNS, by comparison, gives excellent Enterprise level protection even in the free mode. 

• infantrytrophy
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

OpenDNS is a great service and works well with my 3-unit eero setup.  Easy to configure - just enter the 2 DNS server addresses in eero app's Network Settings > Advanced > DNS.  

It's not clear to me what would be gained by the original poster's suggestion to offer OpenDNS during the initial eero setup.  It's not a bad idea, but it could add confusion and may detract from the "simply plug it it and it works" experience for nontechnical users.  The current setup for OpenDNS on the eero system is trivial.

If anyone on this forum is knowledgeable about OpenDNS, I would appreciate any comments on using OpenDNS on an eero network with a VPN.  Do any VPN services work with this combination?  Or is the OpenDNS service incompatible with VPNs because of the inherent IP address re-direction?

• MTTHWWNSHP
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

infantrytrophy VPN services as in OpenDNS Umbrella? I'm not sure I follow... If you were using OpenDNS as the DNS servers of your network but a device on your network was connecting to a VPN outside of the network than all OpenDNS would be doing was assisting that device to connect to the VPN end-point.  You could however configure the VPN to use OpenDNS rather than it's default configuration on either the end-point (for all users) or on your device (just for that device)

Content aside

• 4 Likes
  • 7 yrs agoLast active
  • 8Replies
  • 3993Views
  • 8 Following