New Eero Pro 6 Doesn't Recognize New Netgear GS108 Switch

Hello,

Just had fiber installed today.  Technician installed the Eero Pro 6.  I have a number of hard wired devices so he said I needed a switch and gave me the GS108.  He left before setting it up. I am still learning the "lingo" so please bear with me.  The eero has two ethernet ports.  The ONT is plugged into the right side port.  I plugged a laptop into the left side ethernet port and the eero app recognizes it.  Same with my all my other hard wired devices. When plugged directly into the left side ethernet port, the eero app notifies me of the device connecting to the network.

Now I plug the switch into the left side port, power on the switch, plug all my devices into the switch ethernet ports and nothing.  The eero doesn't notify me of the switch nor any of the devices connected to it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

4 replies

• DwainsEero
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view

ONT = Optical Network Terminal.  ONT uses a fiber optical cable.  Try plugging your eero into a open port on your router and then plug the switch into the open Ethernet port on the eero.  

eero Ethernet ports are auto-sensing and will configure automatically, so you shouldn't have to do anything else. 

If connecting your eero Pro 6 directly to you router doesn't work, try rebooting your router/modem.

So basically, ONT connects to the Terminal Point (TP). A Terminal Point is a wall-mounted box where the optical fiber terminates in your home.  The ONT connects to your router through a LAN or Ethernet cable.  Other devices on your network are then connected to an Ethernet port on your router or in your application you can connect the GS108 to the other Ethernet port on your erro Pro 6.  BTW - the GS108 is a unmanaged switch.    Unmanaged switches works kinda like plug n play.

• FlickerTeam
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks very much for the “lingo” overview.  When you say “router” do you mean the EERO?  If not then there isn’t a router in this configuration, just the ONT, the EERO and the GS108 switch.

• DwainsEero
      • 9 mths ago
      • Reported - view

My bad I misread.  ONT --> Eero Pro 6 --> switch,  sounds like it should work unless it's a bad switch.  If the GS108 is being provided as part of the hardware included with your plan, then your ISP should provide you with another switch.  Ditto with the eero Pro 6.  If the switch was a freebee, GS108 sell for $50-$55 USD.   IMHO, the installer should have tested the configuration with the switch in place.

When you connect your laptop to the switch, can the laptop connect to the internet?  I would call your ISP's support and tell them what's happening.  The switch itself is not configurable.  It's just Plug N Play.

• FlickerTeam
      • 9 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Thanks for the response.

The switch was a "freebee" from the installer.  He saw we needed one and he had one and just gave it to us.  Told us not to tell Frontier about it.  Whatever....

I was able to get the switch working briefly (didn't really do anything other than move the various cables to different  ports) but I think that was just luck that it worked for a bit and then wham, it was down again.

I have spent all day today using my laptop connected to the Eero directly without issue so I am inclined to think the "freebee" switch is a lemon.

Content aside

• 9 mths agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 456Views
  • 2 Following