Eero vs Charter ISP downtime

I've been experiencing Internet downtime, 1-2 a week, over the past month.  We have 6 Eero 1st gen hubs, wired backhaul, and Charter Legacy (now Spectrum) ISP.  I'm not too thrilled with Charter SLA and Support.  When I call Charter to report outage, the answer is typically "Bounce your cable modem, look at your router, it's most likely Eero's fault".  I'm quite certain it's ISP outages, as my parent Eero hub light would turn red, and wifi still works, just no Internet.

What I would like is for Eero to produce an Internet outage report/graph.  I can then point data at Charter and tell them to fix their land lines and switches.  Otherwise it's just just constant finger-pointing.

4 replies

• catmandad
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Have you tried using a different DNS provider as well?  (just to rule out your ISPs DNS)

Perhaps set it to OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

• sellbritegene
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

catmandad I originally DNS set to Google, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  Then when Internet up and down became an issue a month ago, I tried out Eero Plus (hoping to get Internet outage reporting), so can no longer control my own DNS servers.  Outages still occur after switching to Eero Plus, and in fact we just experienced one today 11/15/17 1:00pm PT for 7 minutes.

• JTravers
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

sellbritegene Which cable modem are you using with Charter? I had issues with their TM1602 modem where it would drop WAN for a few minutes every couple days. I thought it was probably related to the Puma 6 chipset that cable modem uses. I replaced it first with an SB6141 a few weeks ago and then with an SB6183 about a week ago. So far so good.

• sellbritegene
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

JTravers We have a Cisco DPC3216. I looked it up and according to Cisco this model obsolete and past end of life support. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/obsolete/video/cisco-dpc3216-cable-modem-with-digital-voice.html

Now why would Charter provide me with an obsolete cable modem??  Thanks for the pointer, I'll calling them right now for an upgrade - I have Arris at home w/ Spectrum and haven't experienced this issue with Arris.

Content aside

• 2 Likes
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 717Views
  • 3 Following