POE Gateway VLAN Uplink Tagging Broken

Just installed a new Eero POE Gateway, and it seems like its uplink VLAN tagging feature is broken, because I am unable to get more than 0.17mbps upload from a 940/940 mbps fiber PPPoe CenturyLink connection.  Download is unaffected.  I have contacted Eero support, but they are not really making any progress with my case, keep missing scheduled eero engineer consultations, and they can't confirm that VLAN tagging actually works for anyone else...  Is anyone else able to use VLAN tagging with the POE gateway?  I would just love to know if a firmware update could fix this issue soon before I decide to return it...

In my case, what happens, is I connect the POE gateway directly to my ONT, with PPOE credentials and VLAN 201 tagging enabled.  This is exactly how I had a Pro 6E set up as the gateway for the past year, but in this configuration, the POE gateway seems unable to detect the connection to the ONT as WAN, instead labelling it LAN, and as a result, probably decides not to VLAN tag outgoing traffic on that port, which is required by CenturyLink, who throttle untagged uploads. 

I have tried swapping ethernet cables, restarting the ONT, creating a brand new Eero network with only the POE Gateway and ONT installed, but nothing seems to help, the POE Gateway itself is the issue.

For now I have placed the Pro 6E back in the gateway position (with 940/940 speeds) and am using the POE gateway as a (very expensive) 10gbe/2.5gbe switch, but I would really like to get this resolved...  The POE Gateway should just really be able to function as... a gateway...

1 reply

• rabidfurball
    • 10 mths ago
    • Reported - view

Update 6/19: I received a response from Eero engineering today that they were able to replicate the problem in their testing lab, and it seems to stem from having both PPPoe and VLAN tagging enabled at the same time. They should be able to issue a firmware update to fix the problem, but don't have an exact timeline as of yet.

Content aside

• 10 mths agoLast active
  • 1Replies
  • 270Views
  • 1 Following