Pre-Purchase questions

I have a number of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer before making the significant purchase of an Eero system.

1) Will the mobile phone app only work when connected to the home network locally? I ask because I tend to make changes while on the road.

2) Has anyone setup a VPN server successfully? Specifically a Raspberry Pi VPN such as PiVPN? I do not like punching holes in my router and prefer to use a VPN to access my local network devices when on the road.

3) If the answer to #1 is no, would setting up the VPN server as noted in #2 work to allow the mobile app to access the router/mesh?

4) As I understand it, the eero's use triband so going with the pro units versus the beacons would maintain higher speed, correct? Would going with the single eero and the two beacons cause any speed issues? I currently have 47 active wifi devices of which approximately 14 of them are cameras (SD and HD). Most are being recorded by an IP based recording software package.

5) I thought I read someplace in one of the posts here that you could not setup your Ip address scheme. Is this true? As in, can you use 192.168.1.x or are your forced to use a different scheme?

Jramlow

8 replies

• cMoo92
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

1) App works remotely as well.

2) I haven’t done this, but I’m sure you can (you might get a better answer on reddit.com/r/eero)

4) yes, you’ll get better performance—but even the three 1st gen dual radio eeros in my house handle 20-30 devices just fine.

5) Not true, you can set your own scheme. The default though is 192.168.7.x

• Drew
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, jramlow – Thanks so much for reaching out, and welcome to the eero Community Forums! Great questions here, I'd be happy to go through each one here.

1. The mobile app connects to our cloud service, which is what sends configuration updates to the eeros. As a result, any update made from the app will be reflected in real time on the network, so feel free to make any changes even if you're not at home!
    2. Plenty of our customers operate client-based VPN and remote desktop services on their eero networks, so I'm sure you'd be able to set your Raspberry Pi to work just fine with eero. The exact details of your setup will vary, of course, but please feel free to reach out if you run into any trouble when time comes to set that up.
    3. The answer is yes, so no need to worry about having to jury rig a network management solution. In fact, the eero app is the only way to adjust network settings.
    4. Regarding the triband radio, it's use is more for supporting additional concurrent devices and boosting mesh stability than boosting speeds compared to a dual band. From a performance standpoint, Beacons and gen 2 eeros are essentially identical, so you should definitely feel confident going for Beacons over eeros to best suit your budget/home/aesthetic sensibilities.
    5. eero supports all possible private IP subnets and DHCP schemes. 

Thanks so much for reaching out, and very happy holidays to you!

Drew,
    eero Community Team

p.s. shout-out to cMoo92 answering before me. The kind of Christmas magic I love to see!

• JTravers
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Drew Regarding #4. Your marketing material says the gen 2's have twice the performance as the gen 1's, and the Beacons have 30% better performance than the gen 1's. Math would lead me to believe that means the gen 2's should have ~54% better performance than the Beacons. Is that incorrect?

Source

• Drew
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Hey JTravers – sorry for the delay, only just saw your message here! Thanks for sharing your concerns, I'm more than happy to clarify here.

So, in comparing Gen 1 and Gen 2, the main thing to understand is that the increase in performance comes primarily from an internal components perspective. From an actual throughput perspective, the theoretical maximum performance capability of the eeros is still limited to the class of radios we use, 802.11ac with 2x2 MIMO, which is unchanged from Gen 1.

That being said, with the addition of the triband radio (5.8Ghz) on the Gen 2 eero, we're able to see higher concurrent performance among devices, which contributes to our given metric of "about twice the performance." The inclusion of this additional radio on the Gen 2 is the main detail that factors into stated performance differences from that of the Beacon as well. 

Thanks again for reaching out, and please let me know if there's anything else I can clarify!

Kindly,
      Drew, eero Community Team

• JTravers
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Drew Thanks. That's very helpful. :)

• jramlow
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

UPDATE:

I went a head and made the move from the Orbi to Eero. So far, so good. I successfully have the Raspberry Pi running PiVPN (openvpn), updating noip.com and am successfully running Pi-Hole. I should mention that Pi-Hole is working correctly on the Eero so you can trace back to IP address whereas the Orbi would only trace back to the router IP.

I'm running three S7 Edges and one Samsung J series and haven't had a reboot yet, although it has only been about 3-4 hours. For those who don't know, the Orbi has major issues with Android 7 & 8 causing kernel panic reboots everytime a phone "wakes up". 

Jeff

• masonworld
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am considering the exact same move (Orbi --> Eero) for similar reasons.  Really glad to hear this is working out for you.

• wase4711
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I too dumped the POS Orbi, with its constant drops and reboots for the Eero pro, and it blows away anything else out there..

Content aside

• 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 8Replies
  • 748Views
  • 6 Following