DNS issues with Eero plus

Occasionally I'll find a DNS that won't resolve. The only way to get around it is to centurylink gateway's wifi back on and connect to that and then given some time it will resolve itself. Today I had the issue with some really important webpages for work so I decided to troubleshoot it more. I found that if I turn off the eero plus features it will eventually let me through to the page then I can turn them back on. Seems like there is a bug in one of the Eero plus features but I'm not sure which one. With this latest issue, page started resolving after I turned the Advanced Security feature off. I've since turned it back on and it's working fine.

3 replies

• ebrown17
    • 8 mths ago
    • Reported - view

Bump 

I’ve loved the eero plus features but if I can’t resolve this I might have to consider a different mesh router. 

• planetf1
      • 8 mths ago
      • Reported - view

or just another router, and use the eero in bridge mode for wifi I guess (it's what I'm doing right now)

• planetf1
    • 8 mths ago
    • Reported - view

You can manually add any sites that don't work as 'always allow' in eero secure.

HOWEVER the problem is you have to know what the sites are. If it's a simple case of an initial page not loading it's easy. If it's an embedded device / not with browser, or perhaps a piece of critical function on the page, then it's a lot harder.

Though eero secure generally works well, this specific limitation - not knowing what is blocked - makes it too tricky to mitigate, so we've found it easier to use another service that offers dns filtering/blocking instead (no kids, more for our own preferences), since we can see logs of any blocks or run a trace and easily see what we might want to add - even via a single click). 

This is the big issue I see with eero secure.

Content aside

• 8 mths agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 797Views
  • 2 Following