Bandwidth throttling for managed users (family profile users)

Having the ability to "pause" the internet for family members is nice. I think that an awesome addition to this would be to add the ability to throttle a users bandwidth to certain speed so as to prevent them from either A) hogging bandwidth through torrents, streaming, etc, and B) allow them sufficient speed for web browsing, research, homework but insufficient speed for things like Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, etc. On the same train of thought, it could be useful to block specific domains for managed users.

29 replies

• eero Community Manager
    • Jeff_C
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi  camtheman —

Welcome and thanks for sharing your feedback with the eero community!

We are happy to hear that you are already enjoying the features of Family Profiles, and we are excited for the possibilities down the road. Your feedback is invaluable to us, and we appreciate the depth and insight you went into with the specific use case.

Thanks again!

• sjorgenson11
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C. Is there an update on this?  It would also be great to throttle bandwidth for specific webpages.  

• jcar98
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

+1

• soppmann
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Agree completely, this would be an excellent enhancement.

• balupton
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

There are several ways to implement this. Limiting devices to a certain speed. Limiting apps/usages to a certain speed. Setting priorities for devices, so some get preferential treatment. Setting priority for apps/usages so some get preferential treatment.

For myself, I travel a lot and work as a digital nomad, and am planning to bring about 6 eeros with me for when I travel and replace the routers at the villas with them - as their one's are always so crap. I would like to configure them so my devices get preferential treatment, over all other devices on the network.

For instance, the current place I am staying at, has a 52mbps connection, but shares it with the nearby school. This results in an internet connection that is not functional for anyone as everyone competes for access. It would be much better, to have the hotel guests get preferential treatment, and have the students get secondary treatment.

• agosse
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am having issues with a single device hogging all my bandwidth as well. Being able to place it in a profile and throttle that to something like 70% of my total bandwidth would keep things working. Please implement this!

• GregZx1
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This discussion topic is 2 years old and I don't see this implemented yet. Other, much older routers are capable of throttling users and I dont see why EERO wouldnt be able to.  In my house, we have 25 devices connected at all times to 3 Eeros.  We are constantly hitting our ISP's bandwidth cap (1TB) each month.

• Curlyj
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

What is eta on this?

• txgunlover
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Curlyj There is no ETA at this time.

• Tempest
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

As much as I enjoy my new eero Pro's speed/reliability and coverage, I must say the lack of being able to throttle specific users/devices is upsetting to say the least. If you live with teenagers who stream YouTube and Netflix in HD non-stop while they are home for holiday break/weekends--chewing up bandwidth, this is a must have feature. Even my 5 year old ASUS router had this feature/ability.

Let's go, eero. Get this feature implemented.

• Curlyj
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

agreed. I ended up down rating my amazon review due to this and other missing features. 

• eromrab
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have a nephew who streams all the time and destroys my bandwidth. Need a way to limit so there is room for the rest of us.    

• nomadictosh
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

THIS WOULD BE AMAZING. Yet again, another situation where a few people streaming 4k or torrenting ruins things for everyone in a low bandwidth environment.

• Tempest
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

nomadic-tosh Best of luck. Deaf ears if you post here. They won't even acknowledge if this is something eero is working on or not. And it's something seriously needed. Especially with everyone locked down during this pandemic.

• QuarterSwede
      • 2 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Tempest The funny thing is eero is a lot more active on the eero subreddit. You get a response pretty quickly.

• geoken
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This topic has been really informative. I was considering getting an Eero because I needed something to replace my Google WiFi to solve the exact issue of single users saturating the entire network (especially upload). Definitely will be passing based on the lack of this feature. 

• Tempest
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

geoken Hey Jeff C. do you see this? This is very unfortunate. How can we get this feature in front of developers so they can get this much needed feature implemented?

• zonearc
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I was very impressed with Eero 3 years ago but they are falling behind other products at this point as they have had a massive lack of feature growth over the years. The lack of bandwidth throttling really sucks right now when the kids can't go to school and I have to work while fighting for bandwidth with Netflix/Youtube.
    If Eero can't get this working after YEARS of requests that are all over the forums, I may end up swapping it out. 

• odesuk
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So, what changed in 3 years? Any progress on this?

• ThatGuy
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This would be one of my top feature requests.  At a minimum, it would be great to limit bandwidth by Profile and Guest Network as a % of available bandwidth.  That way if we have 4 family member profiles + Guest SSID, I could allocate 20% of all available bandwidth to each profile or not no one can exceed 50% of available bandwidth.

• ginobr
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

+1 This would be a very valuable feature to have.  EERO was there any status on this feature request?

• james_fike
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

How do I throttle the bandwidth of devices or profiles?

• eero_support
      • 2 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Hello james. fike ,

The only throttling of devices that can be done is through the eero Labs beta feature in the Discover tab at the bottom of the eero app. Optimize for Conferencing and Gaming is what the setting is labeled as. You can read more about the setting in the link below.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000709886-What-is-eero-Labs-

• Calion
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

James This isn't working for me. I have one device hogging all our bandwidth to the point that TV is unwatchable. 

• andyj
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It would be useful if a Profile could have a bandwidth limit for devices on the profile to limit how much of the network bandwidth that these devices can hog.

Content aside

• 23 Likes
  • 6 mths agoLast active
  • 29Replies
  • 4522Views
  • 33 Following