Synology NAS - Internet Access

I recently added a Synology NAS box to my network. I have set up the box with a static IP from my eero and the box to use DHCP to pull this down.

I can access the box from my wifi network without issue. However, it seems that the Synology box is unable to access the internet. For reference the specific error message I receive is: "Connection failed. Please check your Internet connection." I have found similar threads indicating that the Synology, however my issue does not seem to be addressed by these:

https://community.eero.com/t/18kdma/synology-nas-issues

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=115479&p=507640&hilit=eero#p507640

Any suggestions?

8 replies

• cMoo92
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Why is your LAN 1 configuration blurred out in the picture? Is LAN 1 also connected to the network?

• rdrushal
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 There is nothing plugged into the LAN 1 port. Was trying to simplify the available information but may have made things more complicated. I just have a single uplink.

• cMoo92
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

rdrushal Ok. Have you tried using LAN 1 instead of LAN 2? It shouldn't make a difference, but you just never know sometimes.

• rdrushal
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 Yeah. I haven't tried it, but will give it a shot. In some of the other threads it sounds like it might be a uPnP issue... but I'll report back after trying LAN 1.

• rdrushal
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 I popped it over to LAN 1 this evening and still have the same issue. My other devices on the same network (getting the same DHCP based address range) can hit the internet fine.

• cMoo92
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

rdrushal unfortunately I’d say that based on how everything else on your network is working properly, and how common that error message is with Synology appliances, the issue is most likely with your Synology unit and not your eero network.

There’s several discussion topics about this error message on Synology’s forum, but it sounds like you’ve probably reviewed those. If those haven’t helped, I would recommend reaching out to Synology support.

You could still reach out to eero support as well, but I don’t think they’ll be able to help you in this situation.

• nnyan
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have two Synology boxes and a QNAP (never again) that I just added.  They both work fine even with all the reconfigurations I've done on my network lately.  Ok you said that you made an IP reservation for the NAS box in Eero, but is your IP setting on the NAS set to static or DHCP?

• rdrushal
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Quick report back. This problem seems to have solved itself. I had the NAS off for a week or so while I was working on other things, and through no modifications to the box or network, connectivity has now been restored. My guess at this point is that it was a consequence of changing ports and assigning an IP incorrectly at some point. But... at least were up and running. Thanks all for the thoughts and ideas!

Content aside

• 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 8Replies
  • 2240Views
  • 3 Following