3 unit eero for 5000 square foot house

Is anyone using a 3 unit set up for a 5000 square foot house? Trying to decide if I should purchase 1 or 2 extra. I know eero suggests 1 per 1000 square foot but I thought I'd ask if it's worked for anyone.

12 replies

• Richard1864
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Not exactly the same situation, but where I work we're using 6 Eeros in a 4500 square foot 2 floor office. I found out some of the local Apple Stores are also using Eeros, 6-10 Eeros per store, because of how many devices are being used in the stores. Those stores average more than 7500 square feet. 

• infantrytrophy
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm using a 3-unit eero setup for a 5,500 sq ft home with 2 floors.  Works well.  I have the 3 eeros placed to optimize the spaces where we use wifi devices most often - cell phones, iPads and 3 AppleTVs.  Hoping to make the best use of wifi bandwidth, all 3 eeros are connected by ethernet. My thinking was to use ethernet for the "backhaul" and let the wifi devices have all of the available bandwidth.

I originally planned to wire the AppleTVs to ethernet, but so far they are working well using wifi connections.  

You might try the 3-eero package for your 5,000 sq foot home.  You can always add more eeros if needed. 

• rhalibur
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have a 4800 sq ft home on 2 floors excluding the garage which I have Wi-Fi sprinkler in so I probably surpass 5000 with this.  Anyway, I have 3 eero units and have roughly 23 devices connected at all times.  I have had really exceptional coverage.  I used this to replace a router, extender, and power line interfaces. I do a lot of home automation and also have Plex to distribute movies throughout the house.  I have one area that is occasionally sluggish but no enough to justify another device and not frequent enough to do anything about it.

It was well worth the investment.  Now I need to figure out what to do with the equipment I purchased trying to find a solution.  Perhaps Eero will buy them from us and see how large of a pile they can send to recycle 😉.

So I agree with the above suggestion of 3 and you may need more if you exceed 30 devices or so not sure what a reasonable limit is.  Note the connections are Wi-Fi connections and not any you have set up directly to an ethernet cable.

• MTTHWWNSHP
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I would think, like anything wifi the environmental specifics of your location are going to dictate what works or doesn't work.  I will add that my parents home has been particularly tricky, we've tried several configurations and different devices without much luck.  All the other products ended up being flaky or too complex for them to manage.  A few months ago I replaced their last network with Eero and it's worked great.  One in the middle of the basement, two on the first floor, about 1/3 of the way of the house away from the center and one on the second floor (two floors from the basement) roughly straight above the basement eero.  So far everything has been seamless.  I also like that I can see the network health from my app.  

They like to spend a lot of time in the back yard so we added a fourth for Christmas which ensures full coverage out there.

• Ritchhabra
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks everyone. I tried 3 of them out but it was still slow in certain areas of the house so we ended up buying 3 more because there was a great sale during the holidays and that seemed to work great. 

• eero Community Manager
    • Jeff_C
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Official response
    • Reported - view

My reaction reading that entire sentence...

Happy the additional eeros were able to get this resolved for you, Ritchhabra 👍 If there is anything else you may need help with, please feel free to give us a call at 1-877-659-2347 or email us at support@eero.com.

• Nicolasmora
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

6 eeros. One story, 3200 square feet. Very inconsistent speeds throughout the house. 

Im paying Xfinity for 150mbps. Im getting 50 on some areas. Not happy.

• whsbuss
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Nicolasmora 6 eeros seems a bit much for that 3200 sq ft. - my suggestion is to try using 4 or 5 eeros placed properly. Sometimes too many units placed too close to each other can cause unnecessary unit-to-unit chatter.

• eero Community Manager
    • Jeff_C
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Official response
    • Reported - view

Hi  Nicolasmora

Thanks for chiming in and welcome to the eero community. I'm sorry to hear the issue you are experiencing with dropped speeds.

As  whsbuss mentioned, six eeros may be a bit too much for that amount of space. Typically, we recommend one eero for every 1,000 square feet. However, every home is unique, so it can vary.

If you'd like, we would be more than happy to take a look at your setup and help make any recommendations with placement and the best number of eeros for your home. Feel free to give us a call at 1-877-659-2347 or email us at support@eero.com .

• Glynr
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jeff C.  So I currently have 5 eero in my home. Cable modem is located in a closet in the center of the home but towards the front side of the home. The house is 5000sq ft on a single story. I have a wireless sprinkler system so one unit is in the garage. The eero looks like it should be within 40 ft of each other, correct? Because My home is wide and long on a single story, I feel like I could still use three more units. The reason I think this is even though I have full bars on my wifi connected device ( that is an iPad at the furthest from the center modem eero) the speed is slow... 

Any thoughts?

Also noticed that the IPad is connected 2.5ghz

• rhalibur
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It sounds like you could use an additional unit.  I have concluded that I do as well.  I may make the comment that will or will not be accepted well.  I have been hesitant to purchase one due to the price.  I do not need three and that is a reasonable cost point.  Can you not provide additional units to verified customers at a more reasonable price?  That or does someone want to split a 3 pack?  I had a price on Amazon for 1 at 104 but the order was canceled due to technical issues.

You are connecting a 2.4 due to the fact the signal is not strong enough to make a 5 connection most likely.  Does it improve if you move closer to the unit?

• eero Community Manager
    • Jeff_C
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Official response
    • Reported - view

Hi  Glynr

Thanks for reaching out. As  rhalibur mentioned, every home is unique, so you may benefit from having another eero placed in your home.

Our team would be happy to take a look. If you haven't reached out yet, I recommend giving us a call at 1-877-659-2347 or emailing support@eero.com . A member of our team will be happy to see if there are any best practices to use to improve your coverage.

Thanks again for reaching out! We look forward to hearing from you.

Content aside

• 1 Likes
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 12Replies
  • 4727Views
  • 10 Following