Eero placement...?? How did you know you had it right ?

I’ve been using my eero mesh for a number of years ... all great.

currently have 4 devices spread across the three floors and 3700sq ft.

lately ... last month I’ve been noticing some heavy latency when using my iPad or iphone sitting in certain areas of the house.   Trying to debug dns is never easy ... and I’ve tried many different settings from the local isp to cloudflare to google.... and each often suffered from 20-30 second latency on getting a webpage or similar... often loading once starting, it was generally ok, but not always.  Yet nslookup from a Windows pc sitting right next to the phone was suggesting dns ok.  

So I wondered if it was saturated WiFi ... tried turning one of the eero off... or if my placement was bad.

how did you know you had placed yours optimally?  What technique did you use? How did you test it?

any suggestions for debugging iOS on an eero mesh?

4 replies

• cMoo92
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Rather than spending so much time troubleshooting this on your own, just call up eero support. They’ll be able to look at live data on your network while you’re experiencing this issue and can probably help you troubleshoot it much faster.

in terms of “optimal placement”, the eero app shows you if each eero has a good wireless connection to the other eero(s) or not.

• Drew
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, MarcW – Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, and welcome to the eero Community! I know network issues are never fun, but I'm confident that we can help figure out what's going on here. 

Based on what you've described here, it sounds like we may not have anything wrong with DNS, but perhaps a mix of environmental interference and sub-optimal eero placement. If you shoot us an email at support@eero.com , we'd be happy to go over the details of your situation and offer some suggestions!

Kindly,
    Drew, Community Team

• Fan of tinkering with new hardware. Canadian dude.
      • cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

@marcw I can confirm that you’re best to seek eero support for what you’re experiencing. Have spent several weeks trouble-shooting nest cam disconnects and eero Plus followed me all the way. 

• MarcW
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

thanks Drew 

I connected with support today and am currently waiting to hear back. 

Ive been looking at the snr graphs trying to see a pattern ... but with multiple ssid per eero I have over 20 in the house (nearest neighbor is 300yds away)

i too am realising while it feels like name resolution it is too device centric. 

Pulling my my hair out 

Content aside

• 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 961Views
  • 5 Following