How to tell if the ethernet connection is trained at gigabit?

How can I tell if the ethernet connection to my modem is gigabit or if it downtrained to something slower?

When I direct connect a laptop to my cable modem, I get download speeds in the 140-150 Mbps, but through my Eero that drops to 60-80.  I'm wondering if I am only getting 100Mbps ethernet to the modem, but can't find a way to tell in either the Eero or the cable modem. 

5 replies

• r/eero Moderator
    • JTswift
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Here's a link that walks you through the steps. Hopefully the external link is allowed.

http://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/

• Matthew_Gross
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks for the link, JTswift !  cheezedawg let us know if that link is sufficient or if you need further assistance... and thanks for joining the eero community!

• cheezedawg
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Actually, no, that is not what I am looking for.  I'm looking for the speed of the connection between the cable modem and Eero, not the speed that my PC is connected to the internal network.

• Matthew_Gross
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

cheezedawg My apologies, but after reading your original message and your response I am not sure I understand exactly what you're looking for. I think the best option is for you to give us a call at (877) 659-2347 so we can help you more effectively. Thanks, we look forward to hearing from you!

• r/eero Moderator
    • JTswift
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Cheese,

I don't know of any way to see the link speed between the gateway eero and your modem.  I do see what you're asking now, though.

The speed difference you're seeing shouldn't happen with that kind of direct connection. I think your best troubleshooting bet would be to swap Ethernet cables around. You may have an old or bad cable if your speed is dropping like that.

Content aside

• 1 Likes
  • 7 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 1264Views
  • 3 Following