Not Apple Friendly

Several months ago I had Bestbuy do a survey of my home wifi, and was told that the best was eero.  I bought the basic package of 1 eero and 2 beacons and found my wifi was greatly improved.  I touted it to several friends who also bought the eero system.  While my wifi was very acceptable generally thoughout my home, it wasn't too great in my home office where I have a iMac.  I thought that by adding another beacon in my office my wifi would improve.  I added it this morning, and it didn't connect to anything, so I called support and was told that I should unplug all eero devices, then after a pause start by plugging back in the eero, followed one-by-one with the becons.  I did that and the problem got worse.  The eero captured about 13 devices and the other 3 beacons 2 or 3 each, most of which were nowhere near the attaching beacon.  I called support just now, and was told when I described the problem that it is an Apple problem - the Apple devices will latch on to a beacon and not move.  He agreed that adding the beacon to my office wouldn't solve my issue.  Now my wifi is worse than before I added the new beacon, as the devices were fairly spread out among the 3 eero devices, although not necessarily near them.  We are an Apple household - 2 iMacs, 2 Apple watches, Apple TV, 3 iPads, 2 iPhones.  I don't know if any of the other mesh networks have this issue with Apple products, but I think that eero did not do me, as a consumer, about stating up front in their ads that Apple devices do not work well with eero

13 replies

• cMoo92
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

eero works fine with Apple products. I’m an Apple household too (and lots of other eero customers as well).

The way Apple configures their device’s WiFi profiles is to only change to a different access point at a certain signal strength level. This will happen regardless of what manufacturer of access point you have. There’s nothing eero can do to “force” your device to another access point. The way WiFi works is that it’s up to the endpoint device to choose.

If eero support didn’t tell you to try this, you can also turn off/on WiFi on the device/computer and then it will usually connect to the closest AP (since that AP would be showing the strongest signal).

Part of the issue that you’re having in your office might be that your iMac and/or your beacon has too weak of a signal back to another node. Did you try putting the beacon out in the hallway or another room close to the office, but still closer to another eero node?

• mhonig
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 I will try that tonight.  Actually, my office beacon is the closest to the main eero, only perhaps 15 feet away.

• cMoo92
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

mhonig you shouldn’t need a beacon at all if your iMac is that close. Is there anything between your main eero and office besides drywall? Like metal, stone, etc?

• mhonig
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 cMoo92 cMoo92 nocMoo92 cMoo92 cMoo92 cMoo92 

• mhonig
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

mhonig no. Just drywall

• cMoo92
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

mhonig Do you have connectivity/speed issues with other devices (like an iPhone or iPad) while in the same office as the iMac? If it’s just the iMac, then I would say there’s something wrong with the iMac—and nothing to do with eero.

• Fan of tinkering with new hardware. Canadian dude.
      • cotedan87
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 I too am an Apple home and things work fine. After reboot, it sometimes takes a day for Non moving devices to settle into close eeros but things are fine here. 

• David_S
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Another mostly Apple home here (and problem-free after installing eero) and I can verify it sometimes takes overnight for stationary devices (any brand) to switch to their closest node as cotedan87 mentioned. Matter of fact, I found it pays not to make any judgments about the network's performance after making changes to your eero system for at least 30 minutes based on a tip from one of eero's developers. I assume it just takes a while for the mesh to reorient and make the best routing decisions. 

Also, try running Health Check on your eero app. It can do amazing things maximizing speeds in a difficult or borderline environment. 

• HormigaB
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

David S 

Hi I'm having the same connectivity issue, what is Health Check is that part of the eero app or the AppStore?  Thanks!

• cMoo92
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

HormigaB It's in the eero app under Settings > Help > Troubleshooting (choose any of the options)

• HormigaB
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 Thanks!

• Dmullholand
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So not sure if this question relates or not...I have an iPhone and i keep losing calls (it happened on my IPhone X and is now happening with my iPhone 11).  My Verizon signal is weak where I live but I am set for calls over WiFi and the WiFi signal is strong.  I am dropping calls regardless of which Eero Pro my phone is linked up to (I have three in my home).  internet speed is 944 Mbps download/38 Mbps upload.  Any thoughts?

• Richard1864
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Dmullholand two things. Update your iPhones to iOS 14.2, which was released yesterday. It contains multiple WiFi and cellular connectivity fixes. Then, go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. After that reboots. Go to Settings>General>About and rename your iPhones. Then reconnect to you network. That should fix your issues. 

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 5427Views
  • 9 Following