Switching from wireless to wired?

Hi there

New user to Eero, and all is great so far; 2 questions..

-set 2 of my 3 pro units up wiressly, but want to switch one to wired now..do I just disconnect the power, wire it up, and then plug it in, or do I have to delete it from my setup first, then re-add it?

-why is the speed test so much faster from within the app, versus when you actually run the speed test app on your phone or tablet?

thanks!

11 replies

• cMoo92
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Just plug the network cable into your eero. No need to even unplug the power (although rebooting it isn’t necessarily a bad idea).

In terms of the speed tests being different, the eero app speed test will *usually* be the most accurate because it’s testing using your gateway eero (i.e. the one directly connected to your modem). Since it’s hardwired and the closest to the “internet” it will be a more accurate representation. Your phone/tablet on the other hand introduces a LOT of variables that can impact speed test results. Things like what kind of device you’re using (like what kind of wireless capabilities it has), how strong of a WiFi connection it has, what speed test service you’re using, what remote server that test service is connecting to, etc, etc.

Basically, I never trust a wireless speed test result except just to get a basic understanding of an internet connection. If I want to actually test the internet speed, I’m going to test while hardwired in whether that’s a laptop, or like at home, just trusting my eero test.

Is that all clear as mud? :)

• wase4711
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

yes, thanks, that is as clear as the driven slush!

• Fan of tinkering with new hardware. Canadian dude.
    • cotedan87
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Agreed. Wired is always best when possible. Have 3 eeros wired here and getting 4th.  Wireless is great but wired is greater. :)

• CarlT
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I've plugged a network cable into the back of my week (previously wireless) but when I check the connection on the app it still shows wireless. What am I doing wrong, is there singer else I need to do please?

• CarlT
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

CarlT **eero Sorry predictive text.

• David_S
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

CarlT It's a bug in the Android version of the app slated to be fixed in the future per eero.

• CarlT
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

David S thank you.

• David_S
      • 3 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

CarlT You're very welcome!

• ampx1968
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I switched to eero less than a year ago, and I have NOT been happy.  Used to have several apple airport extreme. I have Three wired pros, and one wireless.  I seem to be having conflicts, and I can never get anywhere the speed I expect (which I hard-wire tested, and test when only using ONE).   It seems that I cannot get some of the base stations to realize they are hard-wire, and not wireless.  they show as wireless connection.   IS IT POSSIBLE TO FORCE THE WIRELESS FEATURE OFF??  to ensure they are hard wired?  

I am close to giving it all up, and getting another system.  THANK YOU all!!!!

• Amichaeloff
      • 2 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

ampx1968 I had the same issues. Call support and they will help trouble shoot. My system has been working perfectly since.

• Joz
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Little late, but make sure your secondary eero’s have a connection to the gateway one either direct or via switch. I was connecting my extra ones to the modem and not to the gateway eero. Hope this helps anyone

Content aside

• 2 yrs agoLast active
  • 11Replies
  • 6436Views
  • 8 Following