Frequent Internet Outage

I have the first gen Eero wifi system.  I have three eeros.  I am experiencing issues where my Internet connection drops and I can't load web pages, retrieve email, etc.  When this happens, it happens across all devices on the network (Roku, iPhones, laptops, etc.).  Also, when this happens, the red light is usually on on the eero connected to the modem.  Sometimes I also see red lights on the other eeros.  But I don't believe the red light is consistently on when there is an internet connectivity issue.

I've had the cable company, Charter/Spectrum, out twice.  The first time they did "something" to our connection (I forget what) and the second time they replaced our modem.  It's stll happening, and I'm starting to wonder if it is actually the eeros and not the modem.  It's still happening.  Does anyone have any advice for troubleshooting?  Is there a way to check the "main" eero (the one connected to the modem via ethernet) check its connection to the Internet (like a log or something)?  Or is there a more "advanced" configuration web page than the eero app that might have more info than the app?

Thanks,

Tom

29 replies

• tomhartnett
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Just following up on this.  I had cable guy here from Charter/Spectrum again today.  Before he came, I turned off (unplugged) all my eeros.  I connected my laptop directly to the modem, and I streamed netflix and youtube at the same time for nearly an hour.  It was fine and never had an issue.  He came and did replace some connections on some of my coax.  Everything was fine and he left.  As soon as he left, I started setting up my eeros again (I deleted the eero network, so i was setting it up like new).  While setting up my second error, the internet went out again.  I went to my main eero and saw the red light.  I power-cycled the modem and did some troubleshooting.  The cable guy was still outside doing paperwork, so I went out and got him to come back in.  The internet went out again while he was watching me set up the second eero.  Both times, it happened at the same point in the error setup process:  when trying to register the second eero over the internet.  I really think the eeros are doing something that the cable modem (or ISP) doesn't like and it's causing the issue.  I wish I knew of a way to confirm this.  I think my next step if issues persist is the get out my old wifi router and set it back up and run with that for a few days to compare.

• jwesener
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm seeing the exact same issue a lot, myself for the last two months. When I first installed the eeros this didn't happen. It started several months in so I'm assuming it was an easter egg in one of the software updates. I have other evidence that it's not the cable modem as my cable phone service and home alarm all continue to function properly.

• eero Community Manager
      • Jeff_C
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Official response
      • Reported - view

jwesener  —

Thanks for reaching out. If you haven't yet, please contact our support team so we can take a look into what is causing this experience. Feel free to give us a call at 1-877-659-2347 or email us at support@eero.com .

• tomhartnett
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I should have followed up on this thread last month.  I have had reliable Internet connectivity for the past month or so.  I had the cable company out a fourth time after my last post.  This time they replaced the line into the house.  Since then it has been fine.  It was not an issue with the Eero.

• jwesener
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I caught my cable modem in the act. I believe my eero network is working fine. My modem is periodically resetting, sigh. 

• Krsayle
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

jwesener 

• Krsayle
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Krsayle we set up our system a week ago (went from Apple Airport to Eero) and this just happened to me. I believe Comcast reset the modem overnight and took it out of bridge mode. 

• jwesener
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Krsayle Mine turned out to be the cable modem itself. The hard part was getting Comcast to replace it. I would be online with a technician and they'd see it reset while we were talking so they could see what the issue was, but they had to follow a script where they had to remote reset the unit 3-4 times on different days before they'd send someone out. As soon as the modem was replaced all of my problems went away. The eero router/wifi has been unbelievably solid. I'm very impressed with the product. I've used a wide variety of home routers over the years and the user experience with eero is really good.

• Krsayle
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

jwesener thank you! Its what I originally suspected. Comcast is notorious for this type of stuff.

• mikeschepker
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm running into the same issue. The Eeros keep disconnecting, on a daily basis. If I switch to a different router, the problem does not occur. I've opened a ticket with support (2 days ago) but haven't heard anything yet.

• topaz_giraffe
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Similar here. Horrible issues roaming from AP to AP and more and more frequent disconnects from the AP. Multiple devices and wired monitoring stations report no issues. Opened a ticket myself several weeks ago and nothing. Going to try again or possibly just go back to my Orbi. I just hate it because I've invested so much in 5 eeros.

• Designer
    • rbucknor
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have been having the same issue and its driving me crazy. Currently running 5@ gen 2 eeros, Enterprise router and two internet service from 2 different providers. For the longest I thought it was my internet provider so I ordered a 2nd service from a seperate provider and same issue. Tested the internet modems each time the eeros went down and they were working perfect. Switched out my router and same problem. Finally wiped network out and created a new one and things would work great for about 3 weeks and then problem would start all over again.  Support tried everything they could possible do so far and problem still exists. I love my eeros when they are working, they provide everything my network needs plus more. Just need the consistency. This problem only started around 5 months ago, before it was perfect.

• tomhartnett
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

As some others have commented on this thread recently, I feel like I should mention again that my particular issue turned out to be a problem with my cable modem/connection.  It was fixed by the cable company after several visits, and there wasn’t an issue with my Eero network.  However, I now I am experiencing a different issue, and I am once again suspicious of my Eeros... perhaps wrongly so.  TBD.  I describe the new issue in this thread:  https://community.eero.com/t/18jfzl/devices-disconnecting-and-cant-re-join

• shoeseller01
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

tomhartnett Jeff C. I keep having the same issue. I am hoping that posting this in the multiple threads about outages, slow internet or non connections. This happens to me daily and it is super frustrating since I switched from Orbi because of their support issues. Other than that is was fine and I didnt have these issues. My ISP Optimum says it is not their issue and when I connect my PC or  laptop to the modem directly. It is super fast, not sure what the issue is and why it also heats up so much.

• shoeseller01
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C. why does the speed remain in the high numbers if the issue is the ISP dropping as you suggest? Shouldn't it be at "0" if it is not connecting to the internet or having router issues?

• eero Community Manager
      • Jeff_C
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

shoeseller01 The numbers shown in the app are results from past speed tests that have been run on the network between your eero and modem.

For example, the first test shows that it was run at 8:39 PM and the time of the screenshot was 10:11 PM. We don't continuously run speed tests as this can consume a lot of your monthly data.

In regards to the banner, we typically see this when there is no internet but the phone is still connected to the WiFi. In these cases, since the phone is still connected to WiFi, but there is no internet, the app is unable to update.

In the second screenshot, it looks like your network is offline so running a speed test isn't available.

It looks like you are currently working with Brian on our support team. Hopefully, we'll be able to identify and help resolve the issue you're experiencing.

• shoeseller01
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C.  I really hope so. but you can see where that can cause confusion as when you look into an actual device it tells you the speed it is running or idle.

• shoeseller01
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

shoeseller01 just curious, does it also log the times the speed test was unsuccessfully run? Just asking because if you look at the history logged on the speed test, it looks like the wifi is 100% anytime you run a successful speed test.

I'm just really frustrated as I cannot address this while at work and your tech support closes by the time I get home. And the instances I have called, I cannot get anyone on the phone. This system was sold to me at best buy as the best out there and it has bee nothing but problems since day one. 

• yurtkuran
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Installed eero this weekend and having the same issue. I'm on my second set of beacons and third base. All behave the same: eeros are intermittently disconnecting from the mesh and then rejoining. When I replace the eero's with a 'vanilla' router the connection is rock solid! From additional research, this seems to be consistent with a firmare/software issue. 

Needless to say, I am having an undesirable initial experience with eero. Although its worth mention that my experience with eero's tech have been great - helpful and professional - I just wish I didn't need to contact them for their help.

• shoeseller01
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That happened to me during set up because my beacons were too far apart. But since I adjusted the distance I have had no issues whatsoever. As matter of fact, the only thing I would say to you is be aware their working temperature will be warmer than any "vanilla" router. it is just their working temperature and no issues. I have gamers, tv's, streaming, etc all at once and they are just as warm as if nothing is connected to them. I have them in the open and unobstructed and they do not drop. I am sure once that is figured out, you will love the system. so intuitive and easy to use. You will be talking to your friends about it. i went to Texas to visit a friend of mine and took him to Best buy and had him buy it. they have a 5,000sq home. no dead spots at all with the 3 beacons.

You can look at all my previous posts and you will see how irritated I was. I'm a happy camper now.

• yurtkuran
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks shoeseller01. I performed all the standard troubleshooting steps including moving the beacons closer together (even as installed the beacons are <20' from the base). None of the troubleshooting worked.

• shoeseller01
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

wow, sorry to hear that. I have not had that issue, sorry cannot be of any help. but if you reach out to eero they are super helpful, although not 24hrs a day from what I last remember. All the trouble i had was from the cable company not on the eero side.

• yurtkuran
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks shoeseller01. 

I’m having a miserable experience with eero and at my “wit’s end”. The product came highly recommended but the product does not provide a stable connection. I don’t think asking for a reliable wireless connection is asking too much; after all a stable connection is exactly what eero claims in their advertising. 

While the software is elegantly designed and easy to use, it does not provide enough flexibility to change advanced settings like channel and/power. Using the WiFi explorer app, I determined that eero selected the most crowded 2.4GHz channel AND and most crowded 5.0GHz channel (i.e. channels already used by me neighbors). Due to software limitations, I’m unable to do anything about it. 

I really hope (wish) someone from eero reads this post and is able to help. This is an obvious firmware  issue. I want to use eero but also cannot live with the poor quality. My only other option is to use a competing mesh solution. 

• yurtkuran
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

mea culpa!

I found the issue with my eero's losing connectivity. As it turns out it was PEBKAK and nothing to do with WiFi or signal interference. The issue was due to an IP address conflict. My previous 'vanilla' router assigned .254 as its IP address (i.e. 172.16.10.254). Eero on the other hand assigns .1 as the base unit's IP address (i.e. 172.16.10.1). After installing eero I overlooked that my NAS' IP address was hard coded to 172.16.10.1 creating the conflict. Once I shut down the NAS and rebooted the network - modem, switch, eero base and eero beacons - everything has been ROCK SOLID!!

Please disregard my previous posts. My experience since the reboot has been fantastic! Thank you, eero!

• shoeseller01
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

yurtkuran trust me, I know how frustrated you must have been. I felt lost and that mesh Wi-Fi was a gimmick. Anyhow, from now on, I can certainly say your experience will be totally different. Glad things worked out. The system will automatically test soles and update the firmware. But you can do it manually if you want. Regardless I recommend this system to anyone. 

Content aside

• 3 mths agoLast active
  • 29Replies
  • 10789Views
  • 14 Following