Problem with network switches

I have AT&T fiber internet with a BGW-210 fiber gateway in IP Passthrough mode. That's connected only to the eero gateway node, and one of the ethernet ports on the eero gateway node is connected to an 8-way TP-Link unmanaged switch. The unmanaged network switch is the one that's been recommended to us eero users, the TL-SG1008D.

Just the usual stuff connected to the switch:

- Windows desktop computer

- Mac mini

- Ooma Telo Air 2

- Windows laptop

- Powerline networking adapter for solar panel controller (also TP-Link)

- eero gateway node ethernet port

What I'm seeing is that my wired ethernet connecttions at the TP-Link network switch go away occasionally, and I have to power-cycle the network switch. As soon as I do that, my wired connections at the eero gateway node start working again. The clients that are connected via wifi just continue to work, despite the wired connections at the network switch going down, so the eero seems to be okay. I've tried a couple of the TP-Link network switches, and also a couple of Netgear GS2098 unmanaged network switches, same problem requiring power-cycling the network switch to restore.

I was using MoCA 2.0 adapters to connect the remote eero nodes to the gateway node, but I've turned that off so that there are less variables to deal with. At first, I had assumed that it was the MoCA causing the problem, but even though I've removed those adapters, I'm still having the same problem that's only fixed by power-cycling the network switch.

I'd really appreciate any ideas of what the problem might be here. I'm fairly experienced with routers and switches, so this is really frustrating.

It has occurred to me to just put all these items that I have on the switch on wifi instead. That works for everything except the powerline networking adapter. Luckily the eero does have one spare ethernet port, so I could plug that one in there. I really do like hard-wired connections, though, when I can use them. So I'd really like to solve this one. 

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Well, I've decided to try some elimination here. Switched the Telo Air 2 (my current nominee for culprit) and the Windows systems to wifi. The network switch has only the powerline adapter for solar panel array connected to it, along with the Mac mini so that I'll see if/when the switch drops connections, and of course, the eero gateway node :-). 

Looking forward to finding the offending client, and being able to add the MoCA adapters back.

We'll see, intuition is useful, but can be wrong.

Reply Like
      • SLH
      • SLH
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

MrDoh  Good luck getting any kind of answer from any official support channel. You know that Amazon bought eero don’t you? You can google it. ;)

I’m seeing a lot of people not getting their questions answered and either returning their eeros or moving on to another system.

i can’t see that any eero / Amazon support people are replying here or even looking at the community questions and suggestions for months now.

Reply Like
  • I have a similar problem. I have a somewhat complicated network with ethernet backhaul and a few switches, and periodically things just go completely unstable. Everything wired goes offline. The only thing that fixes it is removing the remote eero and rebuilding the network. I think I’m going to have to move on from eero... 

Reply Like
Like Follow
  • 3 wk agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 81Views
  • 3 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com