Problem with network switches

I have AT&T fiber internet with a BGW-210 fiber gateway in IP Passthrough mode. That's connected only to the eero gateway node, and one of the ethernet ports on the eero gateway node is connected to an 8-way TP-Link unmanaged switch. The unmanaged network switch is the one that's been recommended to us eero users, the TL-SG1008D.

Just the usual stuff connected to the switch:

- Windows desktop computer

- Mac mini

- Ooma Telo Air 2

- Windows laptop

- Powerline networking adapter for solar panel controller (also TP-Link)

- eero gateway node ethernet port

What I'm seeing is that my wired ethernet connecttions at the TP-Link network switch go away occasionally, and I have to power-cycle the network switch. As soon as I do that, my wired connections at the eero gateway node start working again. The clients that are connected via wifi just continue to work, despite the wired connections at the network switch going down, so the eero seems to be okay. I've tried a couple of the TP-Link network switches, and also a couple of Netgear GS2098 unmanaged network switches, same problem requiring power-cycling the network switch to restore.

I was using MoCA 2.0 adapters to connect the remote eero nodes to the gateway node, but I've turned that off so that there are less variables to deal with. At first, I had assumed that it was the MoCA causing the problem, but even though I've removed those adapters, I'm still having the same problem that's only fixed by power-cycling the network switch.

I'd really appreciate any ideas of what the problem might be here. I'm fairly experienced with routers and switches, so this is really frustrating.

It has occurred to me to just put all these items that I have on the switch on wifi instead. That works for everything except the powerline networking adapter. Luckily the eero does have one spare ethernet port, so I could plug that one in there. I really do like hard-wired connections, though, when I can use them. So I'd really like to solve this one. 

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Well, I've decided to try some elimination here. Switched the Telo Air 2 (my current nominee for culprit) and the Windows systems to wifi. The network switch has only the powerline adapter for solar panel array connected to it, along with the Mac mini so that I'll see if/when the switch drops connections, and of course, the eero gateway node :-). 

Looking forward to finding the offending client, and being able to add the MoCA adapters back.

We'll see, intuition is useful, but can be wrong.

• SLH
      • SLH
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

MrDoh  Good luck getting any kind of answer from any official support channel. You know that Amazon bought eero don’t you? You can google it. ;)

I’m seeing a lot of people not getting their questions answered and either returning their eeros or moving on to another system.

i can’t see that any eero / Amazon support people are replying here or even looking at the community questions and suggestions for months now.

• I have a similar problem. I have a somewhat complicated network with ethernet backhaul and a few switches, and periodically things just go completely unstable. Everything wired goes offline. The only thing that fixes it is removing the remote eero and rebuilding the network. I think I’m going to have to move on from eero... 

• I think I've figured part of this out, just deciding how to best fix it. I also have a MoCA network to reach distant places in the house. I have a couple of Eero units that are hard-wired through the MoCA network so they can connect over the physical network to the Gateway Eero.

In the last week I suddenly started having an issue where I'd suddenly get messages that devices no longer had a connection to the internet. The devices in question are mainly home automation products like a Smartthings hub and a Hubitat Hub. I was trying to figure out why when I found that when I got this message my desktop machine would lose it's hard-wired connection and start communicating through WiFi.

I also noticed that the Eero units (not the gateway) would now show they were connected via WiFi instead of the hard-wired connection. Nothing would make them connect via the hard-wired connection. In trying to figure out what the issue was I started unplugging things one-at-a-time from my various switches, and found that when I disconnected the MoCA network all of my devices suddenly started working again.

To make a long story short, I have discovered that the switch my Gateway Eero is connected to has Loop Detection, and was disabling the port to the Gateway whenever the MoCA network was plugged in.

I removed all devices from the MoCA network and plugged it back in - no problem. However, plugging in ANY Eero to the MoCA network would immediately (within 5 seconds or so) put the switch port the Gateway was plugged in to in a disabled state. Unplugging the remote Eero's ethernet cable restored normal operation. What this tells me is that the switch is detecting a loop, but only when the remote Eero is plugged in to Ethernet. It seems like the remote Eero is sending the same traffic through WiFi and Ethernet. I haven't determined if it's the traffic from a wireless device attached to the remote Eero, or network traffic being sent to it via WiFi and/or Ethernet being re-transmitted over the opposite connection.

What this tells me is that the remote Eero when plugged into the Ethernet is creating the loop, the loop being the wired connection and the WiFi connection between Eero units.

This sound like a bug - the remote Eero initially creates a connection to the other Eero units via WiFi, and then will change it to a wired connection if it's hard wired in. If a loop is being created with those two connections then it can bring down the entire network via a Broadcast Storm, unless some type of Loop Prevention is in place.

Interestingly, I see several posts in the Community that Loop Prevention must be turned off for Eero to work correctly, but I don't see it anywhere in the documentation. Loop Prevention/STP is a basic network protection that is used often - for good reason. The speed at which a broadcast storm can develop is directly related to the number of devices on the network. Disabling Loop Prevention and having lots of devices (and three remote Eero units causing loops!) could cause a real problem on my network if the remote Eeros are creating loops.

There must be a loop prevention method Eero is using to prevent loops with remote Eeros being connected via ethernet - it does not seem to be working when transitioning between a wireless connection and a wired connection for the Eero units.

My case with Support was escalated yesterday, I will see what they say (I figured out the looping last night after being on a call with them).

• Also using MoCA to connect remote eero nodes to the gateway, and no problems here once I replaced a couple of defective cables. Eero just uses the MoCA, and is happy. Have a couple of unmanaged, very dumb switches. One 8 port TP-Link and one 5 port Netgear, both are happily delivering packets where they're supposed to go. If eero is preventing loops, I don't care, since my switches are just playing dumb *smile*. Sounds like you're creating problems for yourself by having switches that aren't dumb enough. Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I don't really worry about loops, don't have any.

Like Follow
  • 7 mths agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 623Views
  • 4 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com