Weird Eero and SSH issue that I am 100% sure is operator error.

I have a weird Eero and SSH issue that I am 100% sure is operator error. 

If I set the port forwarding to go to my mac's wifi connection, I'm able to SSH from an external network.

If I set it to go to my mac's ethernet connection (it's a mac mini) I am NOT able to SSH from an external network. 

I'm setting this by going to Settings Advanced, Reservations & Port Forwarding and then adding a reservation. Other port forwarding that I've set up for Screens Connect and my Plex server seem to work on either "device" (meaning the wifi or ethernet). Maybe there is no practical benefit of one over the other but at this point I'm just trying to figure out and learn what I'm doing wrong.

Any idea what stupid mistake I'm making?

2replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Hello,

Most devices have different mac ids for their ethernet card and their wireless card. When a router assigns an IP address, it assigns it by the mac address. Check in your app to see if you are seeing your device connecting up under a different IP address which you will need to setup port forwarding on as well.

Let me know how that turns out,

James

eero Support

• brentac
      • brentac
      • 3 mths ago
      • Reported - view

James 

I do see different Mac addresses for both the wireless and Ethernet cards. 

But if I understand what you're saying that is what I'm doing. I disable the ssh port forward to my wireless card over port 22, enable it for that port on the hardwire and it just wasn't  connecting. 

Today I redid the same steps and it did connect externally. I truly have no idea what I did differently this time. I appreciate the reply. Thanks. 

Like Follow
  • 3 mths agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 15Views
  • 2 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com