Losing wired connections

I have an ATT cellular modem connected to a Eero Pro Wifi Mesh system (2nd gen). I have the ATT device connected by Ethernet cable to the primary Eero router in my attic closet. My attic Eero is connected to an unmanaged netgear switch. That switch is connected to various places across the house. Two of those connections are to the master bedroom and a garage apartment. Those wall jacks are connected to additional Eeros. All via Ethernet cables. 

When initially powered on and hooked up via the attic switch - both additional Eeros show a wired connection but then will switch to wireless after a few minutes. I tried different network switches in the attic, but the same loss of wired connection occurred. 

Had a couple calls with Eero tech support but no solutions so far. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx!

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • I’d put my money on the issue being that either the switch is only 100Mb instead of gigabit, or you have Cat5 cable(s) instead of Cat5e or Cat6 somewhere in the chain. This would also cause the connections to be limited to only 100Mbps. Therefore, the other eeros would figure out that they would have faster speeds on the backhaul by going wirelessly than using the Ethernet connection.

• Ok, thanks. They are new Netgear gigabit switches. I’d have to check on the cabling. The house is about 10 years old and was cabled during original construction. 

• Hello,

It could also be a bug with your app. If you click onto the eero and view the details of the eero does it show as wired or wireless?

Edit: If you do a few speed tests from a device connected to those eeros is it similar to the speed you get when connected to the Gateway?

Thank you,

James

eero Support

• They initially show a wired icon and then flip to wireless. And the detailed page for the Eero matches and then flips. 

I think speeds are generally the same but would have to check and there is some variability because it’s cellular. Generally 25-100 MB/s. The garage is farther away from the main gateway so it really needs to operate on a wired basis. Much less stable on wireless because of distance. 

• Hello riceowl94 ,

There seem to be a lot of variables that could be affecting this, but as long as your topology is setup correctly and you only have one eero plugged directly into the internet source then the eeros should show as wired if they are wired. If they are still falling offline, I would suggest trying to connect them directly into the back of the Gateway eero and see if this behavior continues to happen. If it does not, it could be the switch, the ethernet cord going from the switch to the location, or the ports on the walls. 

It is going to be a bit of testing, but it is necessary to narrow down the cause of this behavior. If you would like assistance with this please reach out to our eero support team phone lines or let me know here and we can start troubleshooting this behavior.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207376426-How-do-I-contact-eero-support-

Thank you,

James

eero Support

• riceowl94
      • riceowl94
      • 3 mths ago
      • Reported - view

James ok. Here’s the latest update. The wired connection will seem to hold into the back of the eero but it won’t hold going through a switch. 

I’ve tried 2 different, new Netgear unmanaged gigabit switches. And I tried a TP link switch today. I also used a different Ethernet cable between the eero and switch. 

All of the house cabling appears to be Cat5e. 

Thoughts on next steps. Seems like it’s an eero comparability issue with the switch in the middle. It’ll hold for a few minutes and then change to wireless. 

• riceowl94
      • riceowl94
      • 3 mths ago
      • Reported - view

James and one more thing, I’m wondering if this could have something to do with an eero system update. 

When my system toggles to wireless, I lose all connectivity to the products tied to the switch (even though the eero remains Ethernet cabled to the switch). For example, I can’t remotely access my house video cams that are connected to the switch. And, I used to be able to do so with all the same eero and other devices. 

Like Follow
  • 3 mths agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 34Views
  • 3 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com