Chromecast Issues with Eero

Hi all -

Just got my eero a few days ago and got it installed. My wireless is now blazing fast compared to what I was seeing with my old Archer C7 router. I love the eero product, but I'm having a big issue with my Chromecasts (2nd generation). I contacted support and they were great about trying to help me through the issue. While I wait to hear back from them, I thought I'd try here.

In short, Chromecasting doesn't work. I can see the Chromecast icon on all my apps and am able to connect to them, briefly, to try casting video content. At that point, it goes sideways. In some cases, I'm able to cast for a brief period of time (less than 10 minutes) before it says that a network error has occurred and it stops working. In other cases, like with my YouTube TV app, I'll randomly get this screen (pictured below) popping up the second I try to cast. None of these issues occurred before with my old router.

I've tried everything I can think to try, but nothing seems to work. I would think if there were a problem with Chromecasting on mesh wireless networks, that reports would be widespread. So it seems to work for some, but as in my case, obviously not all. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

16 replies

• cMoo92
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You mention you’ve tried everything you can think of, so can you list out what you’ve tried so people can maybe focus on pointing out things you haven’t tried yet?

• ndisdabest
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 Sure...

• Reset Chromecast to factory settings and latest firmware
      • Soft reset of eero devices / network
      • Hard reset of eero devices / network
      • Set up reservations / port forwarding for Chromecast
      • Called ISP and had them upgrade the firmware on cable modem
      • Just for the hell of it, called Chromecast support to see if they knew anything about issues on mesh networks. The agent I spoke with may not have known what mesh was, so that was fun.
      • cMoo92
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

ndisdabest have you tried disconnecting all but one eero, and then testing to see if it works?

• ndisdabest
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 I have. If only because it's a pain to run around to all the beacons and disconnect/reconnect every time I try resetting.

• ndisdabest
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Just another update. I've now tried hard-wiring my Chromecast into the eero and I'm still getting the dumb YouTube screen above. There's clearly some kind of glitch here. I fear I may need to return my eero system.

• eero Community Manager
      • Jeff_C
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

ndisdabest —

Thanks for all the information! By any chance, are you running a guest network? And if so, is there any chance your client device and/or Chromecast are connected to different networks?

Plenty of users, myself included, use Chromecast on their eero networks with no issue. So hopefully we can identify what is going on.

• ndisdabest
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C. Jeff- The guest network is switched off, and I’m positive everything is on the same network. Like I said, the Chromecast is now wired (via an Ethernet adapter) directly into the eero. And before that, the Chromecast icon was appearing on all my apps. If it were on a different network, that wouldn’t happen. 

• cMoo92
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

ndisdabest do you still have your old router? Could you set that back up to verify that your Chromecast is working fine again? 

• ndisdabest
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 One step ahead of you. Did it and it works fine. For what it’s worth, I have another Chromecast that isn’t currently in use. I hooked it up and configured it for testing and had the same thing happen. 

• cMoo92
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

ndisdabest weird. How many eeros do you have? I know you said earlier that you did try only having one eero connected and it casting still didn’t work, but have you tried your other eeros individually? And by that, I mean disconnecting your primary/gateway eero from your ISP modem and hooking up one of your other eeros to the modem

Also, a couple of other things to try based on tips from other users:

1. Set a reservation for the Chromecast device through the eero app. This has resolved various issues in the past.

2. Set a custom DNS addresses: Network settings > Advanced settings > DNS (this one doesn’t seem very likely to fix the issue, but someone on reddit said it fixed it for them) 

• ndisdabest
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 I tried the reservation, but that didn’t seem to help. For the custom DNS address, does it matter what I use?

• cMoo92
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

ndisdabest Google’s Public DNS is always a solid option: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

• ndisdabest
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 Well, it *might* be headed in a better direction, but it still doesn’t really work. When I try to cast, I mostly get a Network Error telling me that it can’t play. But when I do get it to go through, the quality of the stream is so-so. Every time, it will come through at 1080p initially, then praise, them downgrade to like 640p and look pixelated. That’s from the YouTube TV app. From plain old YouTube, I still get the weird monkey telling me “This Page isn’t available” that I included up above

I’ve also noticed that, when connected, my PS4 was not pulling down at the same speed as before with my old router  it’s not connected now, but it makes me wonder if there’s a setting that is off or something  I don’t even know what that would be  

• cMoo92
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

ndisdabest Bummer. Well, I think I’m out of ideas to help you unfortunately. Hopefully eero support or somebody else in the community can help you out.

• ndisdabest
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 Thanks for trying!

• eero Community Manager
      • Jeff_C
      • 6 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 — thank you for taking the time to help.

ndisdabest this unfortunately sounds like something unusual going on, so I encourage you to continue to work with our support team. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of what you’re experiencing.

Content aside

• 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 16Replies
  • 2494Views
  • 3 Following