Desktop Switch Thats Connected To A Ethernet Port Thats Connected To A 1GB Switch

Good morning,

My current setup.

EERO Base Connected To The Modem

EERO Base out to a 16 port 1GB netgear network switch

Initially I had my printer hooked directly to a port I installed in my home office. I then added a TP Link Desktop Switch so that I could run two ports at that location. Once I added the TP Link desktop switch the printer was working. Now the printer has lost connection with the network. I’m thinking there’s maybe a conflict with the desktop switch and ip addresses are conflicting however I’m not sure. 

Ultimately i plan to run a separate Ethernet cable for the Printer, Computer and Smart TV. I was however trying to avoid that by putting that switch at that location.

hopefully my explanation isn’t to confusing...

4replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Modem -> eero acting as gateway -> switch -> other eeros and clients

Reply Like
  • Yes that configuration is correct. There are 2 beacons as well. My question is can a switch be placed remotely on a port that’s connected to the switch that’s connected to the gateway. Initially it worked and now it’s lost its connection

Reply Like
    • JJDiStabile Yes it can.  Have you swapped cables and switches?  

Reply Like
  • Hey There...

I meant to post last night to say its working now. I don’t know how because I never touched it but i had a long enough Ethernet cable to reach the main switch to the printer and it worked so my next step was to cut the plug off that goes to the main switch and start over with a new crimped on connection and were back in business.

What was strange is that I don’t know why the plug/crimp failed when i never touched it...

Thank You for your reply. I’m no expert with this stuff but in my house i have a phone system and i figured if i was running wires for jacks I may as well pull CAT 5’s for Ethernet Ports. So far other then that were in good shape..

Reply Like
Like Follow
  • 2 wk agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 14Views
  • 2 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com