20% slower internet speeds since 3.12.0 update 2 days ago

Hello,

I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is having this same issue. 

Since updating my 3-node eero setup to 3.12.0-1192 two days ago, my internet speed has dropped by a full 20% (from a regularly-consistent 255 down/26 up to a repeatable 204 down/20 up).  This is verified not just by the speed tester inside of the eero app (which tests connection speed from the main eero node (router)) but also by other speedtest apps, where I used to get high speeds matching what the eero app said. 

I have power-cycled all eero nodes and the cable modem, but the problem persists. 

Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed.  And that it happened on the very same day that I updated my eeros to 3.12.0 is likely not a random coincidence.

Anyone else have the same issue?

10 replies

• pinthea
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

And no, I'm not "double NAT-ing"...

• David_S
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No change here using 3.12.0-1192 with a 2 beacon system. If anything mine is a tad faster but that's due to relocating one beacon to a primary device room a day after the update.

Have you done the usual like reseat network cable connections to your gateway eero from the modem, run Health Check on the eero ? It might be worth replacing the gateway network cable with a known good one just to rule out your usual CAT 6 cable from modem to gateway eero going bad. I'd swap out the 75 ohm CATV cable from the modem to the wall jack as well. I've had a few of those go bad over the years as well as modems themselves.. 

• cMoo92
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I would highly recommend contacting eero support about this. They’ll be able to investigate and help you troubleshoot this issue much better than any of us on this forum can due to some of the tools/access they have at their disposal.

• David_S
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 ...seconded! 

• cMoo92
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Also, one thing you should do to confirm it’s an eero issue and not the ISP or modem, is to connect a computer directly to the modem, and then a run a speed test. If the speed tests are still around 200 and not 255, then you know the issue is unrelated to eero. 

• jerryw
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I know it is an eero issue. I can replicate it over and over. Reboot, everything is fine, by tomorrow it requires another reboot. Sounds like the hairpinning bug but this was not happening for me before the latest update. Even still, it should not be happening over and over. Just wanting to see if anyone else had the same issue. Enough said. I will contact eero.

• cMoo92
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

jerryw I think you meant to reply to my comment on your other topic :)

• jerryw
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cMoo92 I did. It doesn't matter. I appreciate the comments and help.

• Grae505
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Not having that exact issue, but have had a problem come up. After the update I'm running upwards of a 20% packet loss. Never had the issue before the upgrade. I've rebooted everything, switch, cable modem (Cox cable) eero, same issue. If I plug my desktop directly into the cable modem I have no problems, but if it's into the eero the packet loss comes back. I only noticed it when I played overwatch after the upgrade, I get massive lag spikes. It happens every 15-20 seconds, then goes back to normal. My kids have noticed it as well. 

• pinthea
      • 4 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Grae505 I'm certainly not discounting your experience or issue, but I will say that my issue ended up being related to my ISP quietly reducing my max downstream speed.  So my eero setup was actually doing its best and operating at full capacity.  Luckily I have not (to my knowledge) experienced packet loss such as yours.  I don't know if a bad cable could be a contributing factor.  Also, check your signal strength, if you're amplifying your cable modem signal it could be out of spec and causing the modem to behave badly.  I know that doesn't fit exactly into your symptoms but it's always something to take into consideration when throughput goes mysteriously awry.  I'd suggest you try it in the DMZ but eero doesn't seem to support that common capability every other router on the planet has.

I will say, however, I know the gateway to have current lingering issues with its every-other-day automatic speed test in that it has been reporting errant downstream numbers since May that are less than 1/10 of what the actual downstream speeds are at the same time -- I hope they fix that.

Content aside

• 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 562Views
  • 4 Following