Need Advice About 2.4 and 5 Bands Before Purchase

We are currently in a one story 2 bedroom condo apartment with an aging Apple Extreme dual band router and all Apple devices. Because of all the neighboring 2.4GHz networks which interfere enough to severely diminish download speeds I have all our devices set to use the 5GHz band only. On that band they achieve the full speeds, 150/150, that we subscribe to with Fios. The bands are named separately. With the size of our apartment, about 1600-1700 sq. feet the devices can pick up the 5 band pretty much throughout except for one or two spots. 

If I didn’t have the phones and iPads “forget” the 2.4 band they would pick it up from way outside our apartment and hold on to it inside where we’d eventually notice the lagging functions. I’m considering the Eero thinking that a beacon in one of the weaker areas of the apartment for the 5 band would alleviate the issue. I believe there’s no way to separately name the bands with Eero but is there any way to assure the devices remain on the faster network? The current router is fairly centrally located in the apartment connected to a Verizon Fios router that we must have for tv/dvr features so the Apple router is in bridge mode which the Eero would have to be as well. 

We also have a printer and one or two other devices that can only connect to the 2.4 band. 

Reply Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
Like Follow
  • 5 mths agoLast active
  • 102Views
  • 1 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com