Function as WiFi network without Internet

Please add ability to use as a Wi-Fi network even when internet service is down such as following a power outage when power returns but internet is out for hours or days afterwards. WiFi is still needed for wireless printing, Airplay content from phone to TV (especially useful during cable/internet outage), etc. Every other router I have ever owned had this capability to manage wireless LAN locally when internet went down.

This needs to be added, hopefully soon, as a firmware update for EXISTING customers, not just for next generation hardware.

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Hi everyone —

We have added support for LAN persistence with the release of eeroOS v3.9.0-1113. This version is now available via user-initiated and automatic OTA.

To initiate an update, follow the steps found here.

Reply Like
  • Here's an update after testing

Test #1
    Unplug cat 5 from cable model, leave it plugged into one of the ports on Eero
    Walk away for 10 min & come back.  Red light is on Eero indicating no internet connectivity
    All devices are still connected to Eero wifi ...
    All devices on local lan can ping & I can stream local media from my nas

Test #2
    Pull power plug on Eero which is still not connected to modem
    Wait 10 min to boot up. Red light is on
    All devices are automatically disconnected from the wifi, indicating that this device is unable to get a local config & get the local network up & running

This is major design flaw in my opinion

I thought I replied to this thread earlier yesterday, not sure what happened to my comments

Reply Like 2
    • Pete Totally agree. Eero technical support said that this is not a bug but a deliberate design choice. Like you I believe that it is a serious design flaw that needs correction.

Reply Like
      • MarcW
      • MarcW
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

nsteinmetz I ended up with a ups just for the eero gateway

Reply Like
  • 1. It doesn't take 10 min to boot--it happens in seconds--that's just the eero searching for connectivity.

2. This issue has been evaluated internally that's all I can say right now. Just be patient (=

Reply Like
    • David C. I hope we don’t need to be patient much longer. I have a large home covered with six eero units, and this is a serious flaw in a product I would otherwise enthusiastically recommend to my friends and family for their homes.

NDS.

Reply Like
    • nsteinmetz it's resolved today with eero OS 3.9

Reply Like 1
    • weaves Thank you.

Reply Like 1
  • Hi David,

Thanks for the clarification on item #2 and I look forward to the firmware update.

For item #1 I suggest a change of state or maybe blinking the lights at a periodic rate instead of just "red".

My primary Eero Pro is connected to the cable modem & the 2nd port goes to a 24 port TrendNet gig switch. Everything else including home cat5e goes to that switch.

I remember asking support about the boot times & what chip was in there x86 or arm, as I expected it to be up in under 10 secs, as with most embedded devices.

Reply Like
  • Could we get an ETA for a firmware update fixing this issue ? Doesn't have to be an exact date.

1 week, 2 weeks ? I have a 2 week return window for the eero pro 3 pack and I can wait 2 weeks if this will be resolved as I do need local lan running at all times due to my work.

Reply Like 1
    • Pete it's resolved today with eero OS 3.9

Reply Like 1
      • Pete
      • Pete
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

weaves 

Reply Like
      • Pete
      • Pete
      • 1 yr ago
      • Reported - view

Pete Thank you very much for addressing this issue.

Reply Like 1
Vote13 Follow
  • Status Implemented
  • 13 Votes
  • 1 yr agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 809Views
  • 8 Following

Need Help? We're here for you!

We're big on support, and we want to make sure you always have the best eero experience possible. Here are several resources you can use if you ever need our help!

Quick links

Community Guidelines

Help Center

Contact eero support

@eerosupport

eero.com