updated eero Plus - June 26, 2018

Decided to bite the bullet and throw my 60+ devices to the new full blown eero Plus. 

... guest network - ON 

... eero Plus (advanced security, ad blocking) - ON

... eero Labs (band steering, local DNS caching, smart queue management) - ON

The biggest test will be seeing if 10 NEST cams (4 outdoor ones running at 2.4) and 19 LIFX BULBS can maintain a flawless connection.  Will weak devices be able to handle eero and all its bells and whistles ?  

Will know the answer within 2-3 days. Everything eero is on here and being put to the test. 

22 replies

• Fan of tinkering with new hardware. Canadian dude.
    • cotedan87
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

First observations after a couple hours of running new eero Plus ...

# inspections reported seems to be up to date and timely.  

# threat blocks does NOT show up-to-date info though. I went to several websites blocked by eero Plus on purpose but they’re not showing up at all. Will wait a couple more hours. Maybe they update only daily ?  (Yet the  # inspections seems timely).  

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cotedan87 dare I say it .... 12 hours running and zero disconnects. All Nest cams 100% up time. All 2.4 devices up 100%.  All Lifx bulbs stayed connected. No hiccups, no pauses.  It’s working  !

Running with everything activated in eero and (new) eero Plus. 

Maybe one small hiccup in the new eero Plus app report...  It’s reporting Inspections fine but Threat Blocks are still at zero despite purposefully visiting some bad sites as a test. Maybe it reports these only weekly ?

Did I just jinx things by writing that everything is working 100% ?

• cotedan87
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

After a couple days, with all eero labs’ bells and whistles running, the NEST cams have been super stable. No hiccups. 

The LIFX bulbs disconnect here and there though but are better than they were. Not sure what is working better although band steering, dns caching and SQM are all on. 

The ACTIVITY REPORT shows over 100k inspections so it’s working fine, but the THREATBLOCKS are still showing 0 hits despite surfing to many bad sites on purpose.  Maybe it reports only weekly ?

One of the eeros reset itself (red in eero app) for some unknown reason but the rest of the system absorbed it fine 

• cotedan87
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Pattern appears consistent now over a few days .... still noticing that the eero Plus ACTIVITY count (from the iOS app, not the weekly email report) is correct for # INSPECTIONS but does not correctly count the # THREATS in the eero APP.

While bad websites are blocked as per the eero Whoopie / monkey screen, they're not showing up in the updated count in the iOS app. Am corresponding with eero support about this.  

Anybody else noticing an incorrect count in # threats in the eero app?

• eero Community Manager
    • Jeff_C
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

cotedan87

Thanks for sharing your experience so far with the community.

To be clear, the Threats section is for blocks of malware, phishing, spyware, and botnet attacks. It should also be known that if you’re testing this with sites that are not actual threats (but rather, a test of a fake threat), this may not count as a blocked threat since eero Plus is designed to block actual threats rather than simulated ones.

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C. Thanks Jeff. Could be a possibility that explains the numbers. I used the malwaredomainslist.com list and visited at least 10 random sites for my testing though. For each of my tests, the eero Whoopsie screen appeared, making me believe each of the sites had been blocked for a real reason rather than a simulated one (e.g., eicar.com).

• eero Community Manager
      • Jeff_C
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cotedan87 —

Thanks for the added insight. At least they’re being blocked 😵

Nonetheless, we’ll be taking a look with the information shared with our support team.

Thanks again!

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C. FYI as an aside, I tested the Bitdefender VPN while using eero plus and Malwarebytes. I was able to successfully open several sites that had been flagged by malwaredomainslist.com . When running eero Plus, the site would be blocked. When running Bitdefender VPN on top of that, however, some (not all) of the sites would open. This is interesting and could open up a hole accidentally. Just observations at this point.

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C. Yes definitely blocked by the friendly eero Monkey :). That's a good thing !

• eero Community Manager
      • Jeff_C
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cotedan87 —

Ah, if you’re seeing the 🙈, that’s actually a content block. If you see 😵, that would be a threat block.

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C. each of them to date has been a Whoopsie  🙊 monkey, not a crossed-eyed face. Perhaps the app could clarify this. Just food for thought... *FYI I am using no content or family filters.

• eero Community Manager
      • Jeff_C
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

cotedan87 —

That May be the result that it isn’t actually a threat. I’d encourage sharing all this information with the agent you’re currently corresponding with so we can relay all this information back to our engineering team.

Thanks again!

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Jeff C. Will do.  Many thanks. Merci from Canada.

• applejax
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Anyone else notice that EERO Plus statistics have not updated since Saturday.  Mine still shows 0 Inspections and zero threats even with heavy usage.  I sent an inquiry to support early this AM and am still awaiting a response.

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

applejax mine are updating in the eero app. I didn’t receive any email reports tho (although I have disengaged eero Plus for a few days). Consistency of email reports remains a big problem, although the app reports are fine here. 

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

applejax I’ve just submitted a support request about the email reports. Although my app shows hourly updates on inspections (unlike you), we should be getting a weekly email report on Sundays, I’ve received only some of the promised email reports in the past weeks, but it’s been hit and miss. I did deactivate Eero Plus for a few days, but with my yearly paid subscription I feel it should be sent regardless if we surf or not. 

eero, please fix the weekly email report promise. 

• applejax
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I still haven't heard back support regarding the lack of the weekly summary report or the problem with  eero plus no longer updating in the app.  I just ran a ZScaler Security review on one of my laptops (I use Webroot Security) and the security review is rather interesting.

Not an IT person, so not really sure what it all means!

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

applejax just a guess, but have you tried deleting and reinstalling the eero app. Mine is updating ok for Eero Plus inspections. 

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

applejax ran the same and got similar. I believe eero Plus only uses a subset of ZScaler so it doesn’t cover everything. Malwarebytes gets some, and eero built in security some of the others. As far as I’ve seen, eero Plus is an elegant system because it’s integrated and mostly works at the network level, rather than having to fiddle with settings in Indiv laptops etc.  

• applejax
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have resisted deleting the app and reinstalling.  Not sure if all 60 of my named devices would have to be re-identified upon re-installation.

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

applejax you’ll be fine and they won’t get deleted. With eero support, I even reset my main gateway eero a few weeks back and everything stayed put. Think of it as adding the app on new phone .... it just reads the existing settings and adds them. 

I do hear you regarding renaming all those devices. I’ve got a spreadsheet with Mac addresses of each just in case !

• cotedan87
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

applejax then again your best bet is to call support before doing anything. 

Content aside

• 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 22Replies
  • 1185Views
  • 3 Following